Smallish piece of brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DougE

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 13, 2010
Richmond,KY
A lot of people have trouble with small pieces of brisket coming out dry, so here's how I do them.

1693442020455.png

Even though it was pre-seasoned, I gave it an extra shot of Jeff's Texas rub.
1693442057847.png

Sitting at 160~170 ish, so I put it in that pan below it along with some beef broth and beer and covered it with foil.
1693442206828.png

I started checking for probe tenderness at around 200°, and it got there at 207°.

Plenty juicy and tender ....... not dried out at all.
1693442484809.png

1693442626321.png

No plated shots since I have not fixed a plate yet lol.

Our Kroger here has similar packaged ones. Actually looks just like that except with Kroger labels. The last two I cooked was done just like you did, with the same results. And I may or may not have ate a good bit of it as I was slicing it.

Jim

Looks like it had a small section of point. That would help with moisture. Do you think that they cut a larger brisket into smaller pieces, or that it was from a small cow? I ask because I raise my own Dexter beef, and they are a smaller breed and give briskets from 3 to 6 lbs.

Looks like it had a small section of point. That would help with moisture. Do you think that they cut a larger brisket into smaller pieces, or that it was from a small cow? I ask because I raise my own Dexter beef, and they are a smaller breed and give briskets from 3 to 6 lbs.
Larger brisket cut into pieces with a small piece of point on the piece I got is my best guess. I usually get only flat on these, so the little bit of point was a bonus.

I raise angus crosses and as many times as I have asked, the processors we use always seem to forget the brisket in my half.

Nice job on that brisket Doug,

Point for sure
Chris

I raise angus crosses and as many times as I have asked, the processors we use always seem to forget the brisket in my half.
I was having that problem too. I also Finally
Got them to give me the plate for beef bacon last month when we had them butchered

Reactions: smokin peachey
Looks great . I've been cutting whole packers in half .
Nice work .
smaller breed and give briskets from 3 to 6 lbs.
Last summer I was seeing whole packers just under 6 pounds . I buy them every time I see them now .

Nice job on that brisket Doug,

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks, Chris.
Nice work Doug. That’s a fine looking brisket.
Thanks, Eric. Definitely good eats.
I was having that problem too. I also Finally
Got them to give me the plate for beef bacon last month when we had them butchered
Seems worthless to do a cut sheet if they just ignore it.
Yup I would eat that where's my Sammie.

Warren
Thanks, Warren, come by and get one, I have leftovers.
Looks good
Thanks, Jim.

Good looking brisket Doug. Very nicely cooked and a nice tutorial for folks who don't need to cook a whole packer but still want some good Q. Great job.
No fancy plate shot as usual, lol. It is so juicy and tender, you don't even need teeth to eat it!
No need in the world for fancy. That is just first class all American backyard BBQ right there. Nothing more needed sir.

Robert

Reactions: DougE
Good info, I have a small flat sitting in the freezer that I have been moving around, May need to put it on soon.
Looks great

Reactions: DougE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky