Small Garden in East Texas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Getting everything going, Took up old landscape timbers, increased my garden size from 10' x 32' to  16' x 34'  Replacing the Landscape timbers with treated 4x4's.

Grandson tilled up the new part and helped me lay the 4x4's.

Got to rake it out ans smooth it over and get my onions planted

Pics Later

Gary

Here is what I planted today, I'll take a couple of pics tomorrow,

TX 1015-Y SUPERSWEET

TX 1015-Y Supersweet produces a beautiful, sweet onion with yellow skin and delicious white flesh. 
It matures a little later than other short day varieties so it will produce better a little further north than other short day varieties. TX 1015-Y will also store better than other short day varieties.

Top of Form

Bottom of Form

Yellow Granex

Yellow Granex is the variety that produces the famous Vidalia onion grown in Georgia. It also produces the Noonday grown close to Tyler, Tx. It is extremely sweet and best suited for southern gardeners. 

Red Burgandy (Short Day)

Red Burgandy is the best red onion for southern gardeners. 
Beautiful bright red, flat shaped onion with a tasty red ringed flesh. 
It is ideal for salads and sandwiches. 

You're braver than me Gary, I've started a few things in the house, but I'm betting on another good freeze before it's over.

Always love your garden threads!

Oh I'll hold off on the rest but onions need to be planted in Jan. or Feb

Gary

I got mine in late late last year because of all the rain I planted toward the end of Feb.

Gary

Lead the group on and teach them Gary onions can stand some cold if you miss one from the year before it will sprout most of the time before I get to work the garden the next year. How ever I'm envious because I will have to wait til the end of March most years. Not sure I would have used treated lumber though.

No pics til we can all grow something
biggrin.gif

Warren

Been using landscape timbers if you read about them they are surface treated rot out in a year or two, I know where you are going with this and I don't know if the pressure treating chemicals leach out into the soil ?

Gary

Been using landscape timbers if you read about them they are surface treated rot out in a year or two, I know where you are going with this and I don't know if the pressure treating chemicals leach out into the soil ?

Gary

Your fine just don't eat the wood.

You know I have used everything from Rail Road ties to landscape timbers to border different gardens we have had over the years never noticed anything affecting me, affecting me, affecting me.

# 2 son was over yesterday dropping off some Hickory and Pecan wood, he said think about it and make sure the size you want and I'll pour you a concrete border. (He is in the Steel erection/Metal building erection and Concrete Business)

Gary

That's OK , I'll wait till they need replacing.

These may last a long time !!  Hope so.

Gary

Your garden looks great Gary and it looks like your onions are starting to grow.     I planted my potatoes today.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky