Ski Jerkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nefarious

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
Seattle WA
We like to have jerky to eat when we are driving home after a long day of skiing. It's easy to eat while driving and has such an intense flavor. I have read many posts here and will keep looking till I get more comfortable.

With the meat so thin, is there a good way to know when it is done? Does 'done' just mean what I am good with or is there a specific indicator?

If we are ok with a shorter life span, and keeping the jerky in a refrigerator, is there a way to make it less salty? I have read some posts that indicate that it can be a food safety issue.

Is there a significant difference between hanging or laying on the shelf?

I have a smoke vault 18 and plan to use this for the entire process. Since I will make smaller amounts more frequently, i can experiment with the meat I use.

My feeling is it takes some practice to know when its done. Mine isnt totally dry when i pull it. it dries more as it cools. I do mine on the rack flat. I will start it at 180 and the kick it up to about 225. too dry is just crumbly and crisp which I dont like. I shoot for a good chew. It jsut a feel not a science sadly.

Try OFG jerky its my fav. I posted an excel that will calculate the rub based on how much beef you use. its in page two of the linked thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky