sigh that's why we cook our own right?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dehydrate sweet potato slices and your dog will be very happy. A box of dog treats at Costco used to be $14 now its $20. Bully Sticks are $30!

• Love
Reactions: negolien and chp
I was gonna get a Reuben for lunch tonight. The meat was 18 dollars a lb sigh.. recipe was kicking though I might just Frankenstein the crap outta that.

Reuben
The Patty's Day sales are in full swing right now. Cop a few corned beefs, I scored a quad for $2.99lb, stovetop cookin' and a few in the freezer. Make a better sanny for two bucks a pop, only way to go! RAY

Last edited:
Yeah looking at deli meat prices I for am thinking on making my own lunchmeat. What they charge per pound you can buy the meat and do your own an get a heck of lot more out of it.

Jim

These prices are crazy.

Just put my order in for my yearly 1/4 beef. I am glad I can get locally sourced, high quality beef in my area. Price is up 20% from my last buy.

These prices are a big reason that I make my own bacon and lunchmeats. If more folks got back to making their own, the market would naturally respond with lower prices as demand for their overpriced, underperforming products would flag.

JC :emoji_cat:

Last edited:
Yeah looking at deli meat prices I for am thinking on making my own lunchmeat. What they charge per pound you can buy the meat and do your own an get a heck of lot more out of it. Jim
There's money to be saved everywhere if we just look around and think about things Jim. There's beef roasts that can be had on sale for $3.50 a pound, smoked and thin-sliced for sannys. Even sides, I'll grab a head of cabbage for my Patty's Day dinner, 49¢, and use half of it to make cole slaw. I make the dressing using smokin smokin 'Als recipe, replace the sugar with Splenda, delicious and not as fattening, what's not to like. I don't mind spending it as long as I'm not feeling like I'm just throwing it away, then I'd feel stupid. RAY

Yup, sadly prices ARE a big deal to me I work a minimum 60 hours a week and care for a disabled parent. I have to stretch our food cash because well every other bill pretty much is what it is. I can't seem to get my grocery bill down under $900 a month. I don't really have the space to brine meat and slicing it means another piece of equipment I don't have room for lol. I have half my pans and cooking stuff under one of the beds lol.

Reactions: Buckeyedude
This is why I stock up on cryovac corned beef in March during the sales. I've bought four packages so far ranging from $4.99 to $1.49. Cook it in the slow cooker, eat a little for supper, then save the rest for reubens the following week. Better than deli meat. My reubens are best on the planet. Everybody tells me so. And I'm a very humble fellow. :-)

My reubens are best on the planet. Everybody tells me so. And I'm a very humble fellow. :-)
We must not know the same people, everyone knows mine are the best ever! :emoji_laughing: Using fresh made rye bread still warm from the bake
DSCN3882.JPG

Every Reuben is assembled with ten ounces of thin-sliced corned beef and grilled slow, at least a half cube of butter, takes 30-40 minutes. Thousand island, caramelized onion, the cheese depends on my mood, swiss and sharp cheddar are most popular.

DSCN0051.JPG

No sides or frys, just a Rolling Rock and it's good to go. RAY

We must not know the same people, everyone knows mine are the best ever! :emoji_laughing: Using fresh made rye bread still warm from the bake
View attachment 660374

Every Reuben is assembled with ten ounces of thin-sliced corned beef and grilled slow, at least a half cube of butter, takes 30-40 minutes. Thousand island, caramelized onion, the cheese depends on my mood, swiss and sharp cheddar are most popular.

View attachment 660373

No sides or frys, just a Rolling Rock and it's good to go. RAY

Rolling Rock? They make that in PA I thought which is right up the road from me. It's pretty good beer.

Yours sounds pretty darned good. No sourkraut? Hmm. On paper, it certainly sounds better than mine. But in real life... I don't know... ;-)

Gotta start with a first-class griddle. Mine is three-eighths of an inch cast aluminum commercial griddle 20 x 12 inches. Fits across two burners on a stove top or on a camp stove. It's an amazing griddle, no hot spots at all. They don't make them anymore.

Salted butter - must be soft - such as in room temperature.

Bread is Beefsteak Hearty rye.

Corned beef is high quality cryovac corned beef brisket, point or flat, cooked in a slow cooker for ten hours. Chilled. Then carefully sliced as thin as possible. It's so delicate and tender, it's very hard to slice real thin.

Swiss cheese is deli swiss, whatever looks good.

Sourkraut is a can of Libby's.

No dressing!

Open can of Libby's and press down on the lid with something to squeeze out a fair amount of the juice, but don't squeeze it dry. Try to remove roughly 2/3 of the juice. Pour it down the sink.

Remove sourkraut from can and place in bowl. It should be somewhat dripping with juice. Cover bowl loosely with plastic, place in microwave, heat on "reheat." This will ensure a piping hot sandwich.

Spread soft butter on one side of each slice of bread covering entire side with butter. No dry spots!

Place one slice of bread butter side down on griddle.

Place swiss cheese on bread. One and a half squares is about right.

Slice cold corned beef as thin as possible. Place one thin layer of sliced corned beef on swiss cheese.

Using a fork, add a nice layer of hot sourkraut on top of the slices of corned beef. About three-eighths of an inch thick.

Depending on how much corned beef used the first time, you can add another layer on top of the sourkraut. However, in most cases, you will skip this step because I've learned a thin reuben is much better than a thick reuben. Less is more when it comes to reubens! The whole reuben experience is kind of ruined when the sandwich is too thick.

Add another layer of swiss.

Add second slice of rye butter side up.

Now put fire under griddle on high for a minute or two until it starts getting hot, then lower fire to medium low or even slightly lower than that.

Place chef's press on sandwich to maximize sear area (stock photo) https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQAatGlgdg2XWvTG0Y9P4w2BGhMaokl2Yvp_w&usqp=CAU

Place large sheet of HD foil loosely on top of sandwich and over edges of griddle too. This will keep sandwich moist but not too moist and will also provide even heating by capturing escaping heat around griddle and guiding it back into the sandwich.

Wait a while. Be patient. It'll be 15-20 minutes. Put your ear next to the griddle. When you start to hear a sizzle, it's getting close to flip time. Cheese should become gooey and begin to threaten to run down sides. Check underside and flip when underside is perfect.

Replace chef's press and foil. The second side will sear very quickly. Maybe 2-3 minutes.

Slice sandwich carefully without crushing it. I like to place sandwich on a board and start with a serrated knife to break through the seared crust and then finish with a normal smooth blade sharp knife.

Serving with a dill pickle spear is optional.

DCP_8030.JPG

DCP_8031.JPG

Mark

Last edited:
Ohh do I smell a throwdown category for next year? lol\

As a side note I have been buying a lot of meat from wildforks recently. They have some great prices on pre packaged meat like boneless skinless breasts, pork chops and I got some cubed breasts for stuff like sweet and sour chicken and chicken tacos. I' am actually doing some s and s this week so look for it in the forum

Ohh do I smell a throwdown category for next year? lol\

As a side note I have been buying a lot of meat from wildforks recently. They have some great prices on pre packaged meat like boneless skinless breasts, pork chops and I got some cubed breasts for stuff like sweet and sour chicken and chicken tacos. I' am actually doing some s and s this week so look for it in the forum
I will have to try WF sometime, I just got an email that I am now in the same day deliver zone.

Reactions: negolien
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky