Sicilian Pistachio and Lemon Salami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Checked the pH @24hrs....down to 5.21 so looking good there.
IMG_20220908_110213.jpg

All the dextrose has been converted to lactic acid, all that is left is some of the sucrose which will slowly be converted to drop the pH a little more...but it should be close to finished fermenting.

wow so just 24 hours fermentation time? Isn't longer better?

wow so just 24 hours fermentation time? Isn't longer better?
Longer is better for flavor development, but it depends on the culture being used. The length of time for fermenting can be extended by lowering the temperature. But if you use a bio-protective culture that protects against listeria then this is not recommended. Those cultures need a temp. of at least 75*F to produce the antibiotics that fight listeria. Starter cultures have come a long way...there are now newer strains of staphylococcus that can perform nitrate reduction and flavor development at lower pH.

I am using SM-194 which is not quite as slow as T-SPX, but nowhere near as fast as Flavor of Italy. I like the flavor profile and the color it brings....

I find SM-194 will hit pH target around 27-30hrs. Using 1/3 dextrose and 2/3 sucrose for the sugars. Sucrose can be broken down by the bacteria in SM-194 but at a slower rate. This gives the Staph. bacteria more time to grow and do their work.

With that sugar combo, I find Flavor of Italy usually hits pH target @18-24 hours. T-SPX is usually 36-48 hours.

Also-as long as pH stays above 5.0, the staph bacteria can still perform.

Flavor of Italy is said to have a subspecies strain of Staph. Carnosus Utilus that can perform flavor development down to about pH4.7...

SM-194 contains Debaryomyces hansenii yeast, Lactobacillus sakei, Pediococcus pentosaceus, Staphylococcus carnosus, and Staphylococcus xylosus...

Also, this salami has quite a bit of lemon zest in it. Lemon zest is as acidic as the juice, running pH 3.2-3.5. The pH drop in the salami is not totally due to lactic acid created by the bacteria culture-the lemon zest is leaching citric acid into the mince as well.....

Also- SM-194 has the same mix of bacteria as B-LC-007, but without the Pediococcus Acidilactici. That bacteria is an EXTRA FAST fermenting bacteria. If you want to ferment slow, you really have to watch your temps. with all cultures that contain that strain!

Sounds good. I'm planning on trying the recipe as well, hopefully this weekend, so I'll keep a close watch on PH levels earlier.

Jeez Keith, you have taken this to a whole new level buddy. That looks and sounds like it is going to be amazing!! I'll be waiting to see the finished product...with beer and popcorn in hand :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: indaswamp
The pH hit 5.14 @ 26hrs. fermentation.
IMG_20220908_132913.jpg

I feel fairly good that I got the amount of sugars right, but I'm dropping the temp. in the accelerated drying chamber to 47-53*F just for insurance to allow the salami time to drop the Aw to stop the lactic acid bacteria from producing any more acid. When they hit about 15% weight loss, I'll transfer to my new maturing chamber.
IMG_20220908_134935.jpg

Also, The pH sample piece is quite large. I wanted it to be the same diameter as the salami so it would warm the same and mirror the pH drop in the salami. It is about 3/4#...so....I did not want to waste it. I took the cellophane off and wrapped it in collagen sheet with compression netting over it. Tied a hanging loop and pricked the salami to hang with the rest...

Jeez Keith, you have taken this to a whole new level buddy. That looks and sounds like it is going to be amazing!! I'll be waiting to see the finished product...with beer and popcorn in hand :emoji_wink:

Robert
Thanks Robert.....the more I learn, it just opens up my mind to so many other doors!!! And me being me...I can't help but open them!!! LOL!!!

@34hrs. the pH is at 5.10 which is great...pretty much stabilized.
IMG_20220908_214810.jpg

Now accelerated drying prior to maturing in my new chamber. Color is awesome too! And since I soaked the Lemon zest in the wine this go around, there is a slight aroma of lemon with the sweet ferment smell. Awesome!

What did their recipe call for re: sugar content vs what you ultimately added?

What did their recipe call for re: sugar content vs what you ultimately added?
4.75g./kg. Dextrose.....but, having watched the Olympia Provisions tour videos and the fermentation room video; I know that Eli ferments at colder temperatures which slows fermentation. If you use that much dextrose and ferment 68-72*F you will end up with a sour salami.

Wow so in 5 pounds of meat you measure out 5 grams of dextrose? Hard to imagine that’s enough to even matter.

It matters... And it does not take much sugars to drop the pH when fermenting at room temperature. I do not want the pH to drop below 5.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky