Shrinkflation/Inflation Fighting Homemade Mayonnaise

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I was sure I had another bottle of Duke's but can't find it. Guess its time to give this a whirl! I never been a fan of canola oil. Something about the smell? I have a few different ones to choose from in the fridge. I normally use peanut for frying but decided to try Wally World Veg this last time to save few bucks. Same thing. Does not smell right to me when frying. I will pay the price for peanut going forward to fry. I guess I have a messed up sniffer.
I don't care for veg, corn or canola oil. I use avocado oil for most sauteing or peanut for frying. More expensive but it the food tastes good. I'll skimp somewhere else but not on what goes in my body.

Reactions: clifish
This mayo thread started for me as a way to save a few bucks during rising grocery prices, but it has morphed into the flavors being more important than the cost savings. The US mayo market is an $11.8 BILLION annual income stream...now minus my $60 yearly spend.

Rising prices have me making my own mayo, soft butter, peanut butter, jerky, bread, cookies, and only eating out maybe once a month. If everyone who had the time did the same thing, prices would fall like a rock.

Now, if I could only lay eggs.

This mayo thread started for me as a way to save a few bucks during rising grocery prices, but it has morphed into the flavors being more important than the cost savings. The US mayo market is an $11.8 BILLION annual income stream...now minus my $60 yearly spend.

Rising prices have me making my own mayo, soft butter, peanut butter, jerky, bread, cookies, and only eating out maybe once a month. If everyone who had the time did the same thing, prices would fall like a rock.

Now, if I could only lay eggs.
How do you make soft butter? I have done butter with heavy cream but I would not call it soft.

Okay. My bad. I guess the commercial term is "spreadable butter." What my wife calls "soft butter" is a mixture of room temp butter and oil blended smooth in a blender, then stored in the refrigerator.

My favorite recipe is 11 oz salted softened butter, 6 oz sunflower oil or lite olive oil, and 1/2 tsp each of salt and sugar. Blend until smooth. I then fill two containers that fit on our butter shelf in the refrigerator. Each container is 9-10 oz and almost full. I can make better-tasting spreadable butter than a commercial product for less than half the cost. I can make a batch in less than 5 minutes, thought to finish.

I have made my own regular butter in a blender using heavy cream but didn't find it to be any cost savings over quality commercial butter. The flavor was ... hmm ... cleaner and creamier but didn't knock my socks off. Took more time and dirtied more dishes.

Last edited:
Never cared for Mayo. My family likes Spin Blend but the company got bought out recently and makes a limited amount of it and as far as I'm concerned they may as well be distributing it only to employees and their families. It's not available here. We switched to Miracle Whip but it just doesn't cut it like Spin Blend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky