Shrinkflation/Inflation Fighting Homemade Mayonnaise

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm still making homemade mayo. Last time I checked on store-bought it was close to $7 / 30 oz. It is STILL more cost effective by a long ways to make your own. I've been playing with different oils and haven't found much difference in taste, only cost. Egg and oil prices have risen, and that's the major cost.

Canola oil: $1.80 for 30 oz of homemade mayo
Sunflower oil: $2.65 for 30 oz.
Light olive oil: $3.60 for 30 oz.

I pasteurize my eggs before making the mayo. It keeps for at least 3 weeks. It never lasts longer.

BTW, I'm using a lot less butter in the morning on my homemade toasted bread. This mayo is so yummy I often use it.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
How are you doing this without cooking the eggs?

Room temp eggs in the shell. Place in a large bowl. I have an electric kettle where I can dial in the desired temp. Pour 160°F water over the eggs and keep the temp there for 5+ minutes. Eggs do not cook.

I also pour boiling water in my blender and the clean jar/lid I'm going to use and let them sit for a while. I allow everything to cool, including the eggs, before I make the mayo. All that is not necessary, just smart to me.

Last edited:
30 oz of mayonnaise would take us a year to use.
Yeah, I doubt this still be good in a year. Not gonna test that fact.

Once upon a time I never ate mayo. Then I got married. My wife mandated it as a staple. The store-bought stuff on the West Coast is rather bland, though. BLTs, sandwiches, and salads (chicken, broccoli, cauliflower, macaroni, etc) was where it was (and is) mostly used.

Reactions: clifish
yeah when I do make a sandwich it is with mustard or 1000 Isle dressing. Only time I use mayo is on occasion when I make egg salad or tartar sauce.

Reactions: noboundaries
Yeah, I doubt this still be good in a year. Not gonna test that fact.
Well...knowing what I know about salami and drying meat, I'd say that with the addition of lemon juice to lower the pH, and the egg denatured (from the acid, the mixing, and the oil); and the low water activity (because there is no water in the oil)....that it is probably good for a while. citric acid does help prevent fat rancidity too......

Well, a 30 oz jar of Best Foods was under $5 this morning at Winco. I bought one for my supertaster wife since she loves it more than my flavorful homemade. It's all hers because I'm in love with making my own.

Eggs were still too expensive, but that's another thread.

Heard this on the radio the other day (useless news)... Of EVERYTHING and ANYTHING sold in the United States... what is the one thing that was bought the most of last year? When I heard the answer I immediately thought of this thread...

Somehow missed this thread. My favorite mayo is Extra Heavy from GFS but only sold in large 1g tubs no can do anymore. What makes a mayo Extra Heavy? More egg, yolk?

Reactions: Brokenhandle
What makes a mayo Extra Heavy? More egg, yolk?
Good question! I've tried using egg yolks only, whole eggs, and a combination. Didn't notice a huge difference so I stuck with whole eggs. What did make a difference was adding a tablespoon of water for each egg used. I got a thicker result that kinda looks a bit whipped instead creamy and almost runny.

So, to answer the other question, was mayo the increased purchase?

Reactions: zwiller
Good question! I've tried using egg yolks only, whole eggs, and a combination. Didn't notice a huge difference so I stuck with whole eggs. What did make a difference was adding a tablespoon of water for each egg used. I got a thicker result that kinda looks a bit whipped instead creamy and almost runny.
Been digging. All the extra heavy I see lists soybean oil. Maybe it's that. Anyway, I am trying to get the pro mayo like used in restaurants. I guess extra egg yolks. Need to do some chores but will dig more later. Hoping I can use your recipe to create my own extra heavy. https://thetakeout.com/best-mayonnaise-for-restaurant-cooking-extra-heavy-duty-1849332953

Reactions: noboundaries
I copied the text below from the Hellman's mayo website:

A foodservice exclusive! Hellmann's Extra Heavy Mayonnaise is made by adding extra egg yolks to our trade-secret Real Mayonnaise recipe. This thicker, more eggy mayonnaise inspires passion and loyalty among professional chefs. Thicker, extra-curdy viscosity holds through demanding binding and browning.

Hmmm. Now I wonder how many extra egg yolks? I didn't care for the egg yolk only version because it didn't make much difference. Once the price of eggs return to normal, I'll try my 24 oz version (2 whole eggs) and 2 extra egg yolks, then increase the egg yolks from there until I get something that seems extra thick.

Last edited:
Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky