Shrimpy ABT's

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
Our July was cold and wet here in the mountains. As a result, I didn't get a lot of jalapenos from garden and those I did get weren't very big. Indeed they were almost shrimpy. Hold on. Did I have the idea for using them. Yes I did. I made shrimpy ABT's.

I started by draining and rinsing a can of cocktail shrimp. I chopped enough of them to make a finely minced 75 ml (1/3 cup) of shrimp.

I mixed the shrimp with 125 ml (1/2 cup) cream cheese, 15 ml (1 tablespoon) cocktail sauce and 15 ml (1 tablespoon) finely chopped green onion.

I sliced 10 of the shrimpy jalapenos in half and removed the seeds and membranes. I stuffed them with the shrimp mixture.

I wrapped each pepper half with 1/3 slice of bacon put them on a grilling tray in the pellet smoker at 230 F for 1 1/2 hours.

The finished product.

The Verdict

I love the texture the shrimp gave the filling. Still creamy but a bit more set up. The taste was great. The shrimp gave a nice salty balance to the cream cheese. The slight horseradish hit from the cocktail sauce gave a little different heat than the jalapenos. As usual, my guests were surprised that the jalapenos weren't that hot with the seed and membranes removed and with the cooling effect of the cheese.

Everyone raved but the real complement was the speed they disappeared. Of course, they were shrimpy.

Disco

Last edited:
Great idea Disco, them sure look tasty ! Gonna have to try these soon !
icon14.gif
Thanks, Justin! They were popular.

Nice job Disco!

I love shrimp in just about anything!

Your ABT's look delicious.

I don't know why I never thought of putting shrimp in ABT's

But I definitely will give it a try.

Point!

Al

Aw Man---Those look Tasty!!
drool.gif
----
points.gif

Awesome "Football Watching Snacks"!!!
drool.gif

Nice Job, Disco!
icon14.gif

Bear

Great idea,they look tasty!
Thanks B1!

Nice job Disco!

I love shrimp in just about anything!

Your ABT's look delicious.

I don't know why I never thought of putting shrimp in ABT's

But I definitely will give it a try.

Point!

Al
Thanks for the point, Al! You can't go wrong with ABT's.

Aw Man---Those look Tasty!!
drool.gif
----
points.gif

Awesome "Football Watching Snacks"!!!
drool.gif

Nice Job, Disco!
icon14.gif

Bear
Dang. Now I want some for the game next week. Thanks for the point but She Who Must Be Obeyed will be upset that I am making snacks for the game!

Great looking ABT's Disco! I like your shrimp mixture. I did some a while back with smoked salmon. They were tasty!

Point!
Thanks for the post, Case. However, you had to get me going again didn't you? Smoked salmon sounds great and I now must try it! 

Those look like something I'm going to have to try. Ive added whole shrimp and cream cheese to a stuffed long green pepper and that was good. But this sounds even better.

The idea of mixing the flavors of horseradish and jalapeno is really intriguing me.

POINTS!!

Gary

Those look like something I'm going to have to try. Ive added whole shrimp and cream cheese to a stuffed long green pepper and that was good. But this sounds even better.

The idea of mixing the flavors of horseradish and jalapeno is really intriguing me.

POINTS!!

Gary
Thanks, Gary. I do love ABT's.

That sounded so good that I had to try it myself.
I like heat but not so much that it over powers everything else and leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. So I clean prppers well of all seeds and pulp. I found some cream cheese mixed with onion and chives which I mixed with jack cheese, mayo, Jeff's rub and the cocktail shrimp, I also added a bit more finely chopped onion then mixed, stuffed and wrapped them with bacon. I Grilled them for 45 minutes and man were they good. Thanks for the idea. I changed it a bit but not much. We like onions and I put mayo in and on everything. Jeff's rub was just a good seasoning to use. I would smoke them next time.
Randy,

That sounded so good that I had to try it myself.
I like heat but not so much that it over powers everything else and leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. So I clean prppers well of all seeds and pulp. I found some cream cheese mixed with onion and chives which I mixed with jack cheese, mayo, Jeff's rub and the cocktail shrimp, I also added a bit more finely chopped onion then mixed, stuffed and wrapped them with bacon. I Grilled them for 45 minutes and man were they good. Thanks for the idea. I changed it a bit but not much. We like onions and I put mayo in and on everything. Jeff's rub was just a good seasoning to use. I would smoke them next time.
Randy,
The greatest honour you can give a foodie is to take their idea then shape and make it your own. Thank you!

Your version sounds delicious but where's the post? We would love to live vicariously through your pictures!

Disco

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky