1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Shrimpy ABT's

Discussion in 'ABT's' started by disco, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Gwanger

Gwanger Smoking Fanatic

Disco-this recipe for shrimp abt with a horseradish sauce just sparked my interested, I just made horseradish last wk.First time doing it, was simple easy.you need a gas mask when you take top off of food processor, try sometime

2. Steve H

Steve H Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

I just had ABTs last night. The frozen, deep fried variety. This recipe is a must do next weekend. Looks awesome.

3. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Har! I have had similar experience with fresh horseradish! It is powerful stuff. I have never tried making my own but I do have a buddy who grows horseradish and makes a great sauce.

4. disco

Thanks so much! I hope you like it!

5. Gwanger

Gwanger Smoking Fanatic

Disco,I was looking to make some horseradish with a little more potency,I got it, I peeled the root of any skin layer and then grated it with grater blade in fp ,this is where it gets dangerous, when you take lid off of fp, stand back or your eyes will water and your sinuses will pour, add purified water well water will give you off taste a tbl. at a time dont add vinegar for 3 min. add white vinegar a tbl. at a time vinegar tames it down, make as potent as you like. I like mine kicking, I got what I wanted.Make sure you store in inverted jars to maintain potency. Give it a shot.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  6. Disco, this is an outstanding recipe. I took a swipe at it yesterday.

Wife and I "don't do hot", so we decided to go with sweet bell peppers.

IMG_7247.jpg
    Laid everything I needed out (and even then, forgot the darn cocktail sauce).

IMG_7248.jpg
    I used about half a bag (8 oz) of ready to eat, frozen tail off shrimp and about 7-8 green onions.

IMG_7250.JPG
    Ran that through my Hamilton Beach chopper, while a full brick of cream cheese was softening in the microwave.

IMG_7251.JPG
    Then, added the cream cheese. (Here's where I forgot the cocktail sauce, but I added it in before it was too late).

IMG_7252.JPG

I guess I was the last person on earth to realize this was a really common shrimp dip.

IMG_7253.jpg
    I let the dip rest and went to work on the peppers. Quartered them from the bottom, then trimmed out the seeds and the membrane. Then split the quarters into eighths.

IMG_7254.JPG

Used a spatula to fill them (you'll notice three of them are white, the others are pink. Kind of when I remembered the cocktail sauce.
    IMG_7255.jpg IMG_7256.jpg IMG_7258.jpg
    With these peppers, I thought a half slice would work, but some of them were taller, so they needed two halves. All wrapped and ready to go. Went out and fired up my Dyna-Glo smoker.
    IMG_7257.jpg
    In the meantime, had some shrimp dip left over that went well with crackers and pretzels.

IMG_7260.JPG
    Got the smoker up to about 200 then put them in about an inch apart, two rows per tray.

IMG_7261.JPG
    Kept the smoker around 220 for about 2 hours and 15 minutes and pulled them.
    IMG_7262.JPG
    Finished product. Loved by all except "the hot people" who thought it needed more kick.

Three bell peppers, a pound of bacon yielded 24 ABT's.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    disco likes this.
  7. disco

Somehow I missed this until now! Sounds like a great idea!

8. disco

Looks stellar! I love the colour of the peppers. A big like for changing up the recipe for your tastes! That is how new dishes come about!

simsfmly likes this.