• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Shrimp and Corn Soup

indaswamp

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
Had some shrimp stock taking up room in the freezer so it was time to use it. Yep, Shrimp and Corn Soup time!

I cooked this last friday at the firehouse when the temps. got down into the 30's here in South Louisiana. I called the guys and they went next door to the seafood market and picked up 4# of fresh peeled shrimp, I brought all the rest of the ingredients.

Here's the onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic and bay leaves simmering down in 1# of butter:
MmsPicture_20200207163705.jpeg

Then add the corn to saute' a little bit and warm up:
MmsPicture_20200207164306.jpeg

Warm up 3qts. of frozen shrimp stock to add into the soup:
MmsPicture_20200207164551.jpeg

Add the flour to make a white roux, the rest of the seasonings, 4qts. of heavy cream, the 4# of 31-40 ct. shrimp, some sliced green onions, parsley, and about 3 ounces of cream sherry right at the end.
1581476458768.jpeg

And there you go...it'll warm you on a cold night! (served with toasted garlic bread not pictured)

Fueling Around

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 10, 2018
That sounds and looks really good.
Isn't there a competition for firehouse gourmet cooking?

How do you make shrimp stock?
I have 3 quart bags of shrimp (tail) shells in the freezer that I've been saving to make fish stock.

indaswamp

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
When I buy fresh shrimp off the boat, I de-head the shrimp into a pot and freeze the tails. I make shrimp stock from the heads....
http://www.jfolse.com/recipes/stocks_sauces/stock_sauce56.htm

...and reduce it down double concentrated to save freezer space. When I thaw to use it, I add water to bring to full volume. That shrimp stock is the secret to incredibly rich shrimp flavor. As it simmers, all the impurities float to the top and you skim those off. The dark orange you see on top of the frozen stock is shrimp fat. Don't skim that off. It's concentrated out of this world shrimp flavor!

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
I've had Crab Corn Soup and in parts of Central PA, Chicken Corn Soup is an area staple. Not had it with Shrimp. That looks outstanding!
With Shrimp Stock, Shells are ok but, for really full flavored Stock, you have to have Shrimp Heads. I make it with just Shells when I have enough. No Head On Shrimp to be had in my area...JJ

Fueling Around

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 10, 2018
About 2,000 miles away from finding fresh shrimp off the boat. Alas no shrimp heads/ bodies.
Most people around here only know the "sanitized" tail as a shrimp.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Nice work!
That soup looks amazing!
How can you go wrong with shrimp & corn!
Al

sawhorseray

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2014
I'd imagine that soup to be absolutely delicious, warm the soul! Like, RAY

HalfSmoked

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Wow where's my bowl. Looks great.

Warren

SmokinVOLfan

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 27, 2018
Man that looks outstanding. Never even heard of shrimp stock before around here. I could eat a giant bowl of that for breakfast. Big hell yeah!

Winterrider

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 29, 2018
It does look outstanding, and tastes even better I'm guessing.

indaswamp

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
Looks great - thanks for sharing.
Thanks Dirty Nails!
Nice work!
That soup looks amazing!
How can you go wrong with shrimp & corn!
Al
Thanks Al!
I'd imagine that soup to be absolutely delicious, warm the soul! Like, RAY
Thanks Ray! I imagine it does warm the soul!
Wow where's my bowl. Looks great.

Warren
The entire pot is gone! LOL! Thanks for the like.
Man that looks outstanding. Never even heard of shrimp stock before around here. I could eat a giant bowl of that for breakfast. Big hell yeah!
Thanks SmokinVOLfan, Stock in any form is the chef's secret to deep rich flavor. I rarely cook with out it.
It does look outstanding, and tastes even better I'm guessing.
Thanks Winterrider, it was delicious!

Last edited:

gary s

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 6, 2011
Looks Mighty Tasty to me Nice Job

Gary

indaswamp

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
Looks Mighty Tasty to me Nice Job

Gary
Thanks Gary, it is quite tasty. I love this soup and make it often during the fall and winter. I usually make a big pot expecting leftovers that I freeze for quick meals at the deer camp.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
Now that's a comforting soup. Big like!

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.