Shrimp and Corn Soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Had some shrimp stock taking up room in the freezer so it was time to use it. Yep, Shrimp and Corn Soup time!

I cooked this last friday at the firehouse when the temps. got down into the 30's here in South Louisiana. I called the guys and they went next door to the seafood market and picked up 4# of fresh peeled shrimp, I brought all the rest of the ingredients.

Here's the onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic and bay leaves simmering down in 1# of butter:
MmsPicture_20200207163705.jpeg

Then add the corn to saute' a little bit and warm up:
MmsPicture_20200207164306.jpeg

Warm up 3qts. of frozen shrimp stock to add into the soup:
MmsPicture_20200207164551.jpeg

Add the flour to make a white roux, the rest of the seasonings, 4qts. of heavy cream, the 4# of 31-40 ct. shrimp, some sliced green onions, parsley, and about 3 ounces of cream sherry right at the end.
1581476458768.jpeg

And there you go...it'll warm you on a cold night! (served with toasted garlic bread not pictured)

That sounds and looks really good.
Isn't there a competition for firehouse gourmet cooking?

How do you make shrimp stock?
I have 3 quart bags of shrimp (tail) shells in the freezer that I've been saving to make fish stock.

When I buy fresh shrimp off the boat, I de-head the shrimp into a pot and freeze the tails. I make shrimp stock from the heads....
http://www.jfolse.com/recipes/stocks_sauces/stock_sauce56.htm

...and reduce it down double concentrated to save freezer space. When I thaw to use it, I add water to bring to full volume. That shrimp stock is the secret to incredibly rich shrimp flavor. As it simmers, all the impurities float to the top and you skim those off. The dark orange you see on top of the frozen stock is shrimp fat. Don't skim that off. It's concentrated out of this world shrimp flavor!

I've had Crab Corn Soup and in parts of Central PA, Chicken Corn Soup is an area staple. Not had it with Shrimp. That looks outstanding!
With Shrimp Stock, Shells are ok but, for really full flavored Stock, you have to have Shrimp Heads. I make it with just Shells when I have enough. No Head On Shrimp to be had in my area...JJ

Reactions: indaswamp
About 2,000 miles away from finding fresh shrimp off the boat. Alas no shrimp heads/ bodies.
Most people around here only know the "sanitized" tail as a shrimp.

Man that looks outstanding. Never even heard of shrimp stock before around here. I could eat a giant bowl of that for breakfast. Big hell yeah!

Looks great - thanks for sharing.
Thanks Dirty Nails!
Nice work!
That soup looks amazing!
How can you go wrong with shrimp & corn!
Al
Thanks Al!
I'd imagine that soup to be absolutely delicious, warm the soul! Like, RAY
Thanks Ray! I imagine it does warm the soul!
Wow where's my bowl. Looks great.

Warren
The entire pot is gone! LOL! Thanks for the like.
Man that looks outstanding. Never even heard of shrimp stock before around here. I could eat a giant bowl of that for breakfast. Big hell yeah!
Thanks SmokinVOLfan, Stock in any form is the chef's secret to deep rich flavor. I rarely cook with out it.
It does look outstanding, and tastes even better I'm guessing.
Thanks Winterrider, it was delicious!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky