Should I Pull the Trigger on Traeger Deal?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Buy this Traeger Eastwood 34 for $599?

• Yes

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Preacher Man

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 28, 2018
Where The River Runs Through It
Just saw this at Home Depot.

IMG_20190202_124845_01.jpg

Traeger Eastwood 34 for $599. If I apply for their credit card I can take off another $100.
Yay or nay?

Do you Want a Traeger?
If you do, then go for it. $499 bottom line sounds good.
In Mountanna, you may need a blankie for it.
Hope it is still available when you decide.

Two c-notes off the original price, yeah go for it if your looking for a pooper.

Chris

Reactions: SonnyE
In 1985 a Yugo was introduced for $4000. People lined up and some paid hundreds over MSRP. The first dealer Yugo USA sold 1050 units the first day. By 1991 a Philly ToyotaYugo dealer ran a sale. Buy any Toyota and get a Free Yugo. Toyota sales were brisk but very few customers bothered taking the Yugo. The car was not worth the cost of registration and insurance...

Doing my research into pellet grills I found a lot of info on Traeger. They were the Bees Knees for several years. Whether it was bad management or figuring the Name would carry sales, Traeger just didn't keep up with competition in innovation or quality control. There were more complaints than raves. Maybe Traeger has awoken and are making great grills again, but i would be cautious at any price and do A LOT of reach before I dropped $500...JJ

Doing my research into pellet grills I found a lot of info on Traeger. They were the Bees Knees for several years. Whether it was bad management or figuring the Name would carry sales, Traeger just didn't keep up with competition in innovation or quality control. There were more complaints than raves. Maybe Traeger has awoken and are making great grills again, but i would be cautious at any price and do A LOT of reach before I dropped $500...JJ

I'm with you. They kinda were the "king of the hill" a few years back. Lot of owners are very happy with ( maybe because it is the only pellet grill owned)? I know my future doesn't have one in it for the $ involved. Many others with more bang for the buck IMO.

I think Traeger has tried to be all things to all people at this point, and that's why they're getting a bad name. At the upper end, I know several people that have the Timberline and have had zero complaints, and sing their praises.

At the other end of the spectrum is their mass-market, low-end. I've heard everything under the sun (good and bad) about those. Those grills are what soils their brand.

View attachment 386988

Traeger Eastwood 34 for $599. If I apply for their credit card I can take off another $100.
Yay or nay?
Have you purchased yet? If not or even if you have, I can't say anything negative about my Pro22. We use ours about 3-4 times a week 52 weeks a year and have for almost 2 1/2yrs. Pizza, ribs, lobster, cod, halibut, brisket, pulled pork, a lot of chicken and burgers.

I have said this many times "If I put 6 racks of smoked ribs on table from 6 different pellet smokers, you couldn't let me which ribs came off of which smoker".

View attachment 386988

Yay or nay?

If You haven’t pulled the trigger yet on that Traeger Eastwood 34, I would take trip to the local Lowe’s Home Improvement store in your city and give the Pit Boss 1100 Pro Series a good look.. I’m not knocking Traeger.. But if you’re looking for the most bang for your buck that includes a 5 year warranty and 1100 square inches of grilling space for $599.00, then this pellet grill is a must see. https://m.lowes.com/pd/Pit-Boss-Pro-Series-1100-sq-in-Black-Pellet-Grill/1000601257
Read the entire page of the link videos and specs. I’ve seen the Traeger Eastwood 34 and the PB 1100 Pro Series and there’s no comparison. Again, I’m not knocking Traeger, but when it comes to your hard earned money... It’s always best to spend your money wisely.. Good luck

PB Austin XL in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

I appreciate all the input you fellas have given.

Gosh, to be honest I'm still on the fence, and they still have one. Do y'all think at this price I could buy it and if I decide I don't like it, make my money back on Craigslist?

Very likely. It's a good ...JJ

I have not done the research, but have read a little (I don't consider Wikipedia research). I understood it that Traeger patented the concept of a pellet smoker, after the patent ran out others were able to build, develop and sell pellet grills. In my experience, rarely does a company get better at what it does when that type of situation comes to fruition. Generally they rest on their name, marketshare, marketing, sponsors, sales agreements (Lowes, HD, Dicks, etc big box stores) and accessories like pellets.

I cant get a Traeger at a "mom and pop" dealer, and I can't seem to find pellets anywhere convenient that are not Traeger brand.

But if it wasn't for Traeger I probably wouldn't own a pellet grill...

Just look at General Motors, Ford and Chrysler. The Big Three pretty much ran every other American car manufacturer out of business by the early 70's. Started to kick back and rest on their laurels. By 1979 Chrysler was bankrupt. The other two were producing under powered, overweight, gas hogs in need of constant repair. Total Crap! Still, it took nearly the entire decade of the 80's for the Big Three to figure out why the Japanese and Germans were out selling American cars and begin to get their act together...JJ

I've had a Traeger Pro22 about two months. Loving it so far. Two of my neighbors have Traegers and love them. That helped me decide to spend a little extra.
Things seem very similar in the lower/mid price ranges. I think they probably all work the same, burn pellets...
$1000+ and pro models looks like where the variables get crazy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky