Should I flip a pork loin?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

newbie2

Original poster
Aug 5, 2015
Hello all. So I've been cooking on the wsm and so far have done rib steaks, ribs, pork butt, pork loins, and chicken.

One thing I noticed was that the meat looks more cooked where it's touching the grates and not the top side. I've always checked internal temps but am I supposed to flip a pork loin, chicken breast, or roast? Can the meat be done in the middle but not on the top surface? Does it cook more evenly?

Thanks!!!

It's not required but if you want it to look the same then go ahead.

If you are cooking to the proper internal
Temp the meat should be probed in the middle of the thickest part and it will be done.

Last edited:
Reactions: newbie2
Depending on your smoker, that can happen. On an Offset or Electric, it's not a problem but a Vertical with a higher heat source like a WSM or EDC you may notice a slightly more cook bottom. There is no reason Not to turn meat if you wish to...JJ

Last edited:
Lately I've been smoking everything in a pan except ribs. I think the pan protects the bottom better & also makes for juicier meat.

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky