She just had to do this!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
What do you do when you have freshly installed, unsealed tiles behind your range. And the wife brings home a dead sexy tri-tip!

20190217_134928.jpg

OK. But I'm not sure I understand the drape.
Won't you be doin the Tri outside?
Or do you want to sear on the stove top?

Beautiful work on the remodel!

OK. But I'm not sure I understand the drape.
Won't you be doin the Tri outside?
Or do you want to sear on the stove top?

Beautiful work on the remodel!

Thanks! Sear on the stove. Then finish in the oven this time. Next time will be different! Be a long day. I've been up since 2AM.

SHE is rewarding you for doing a great tile job.

Good idea to hang up some paper. Single or double layer?

wow! that is a really gorgeous kitchen remodel. I am also planning to have a remodel including my countertops in the kitchen lol
I hope my husband would take an effort in doing like this kind of stuff.

Do you guys have any source/website that I can look for some information about different kinds of surface for a countertop? I want to do some canvas first on the internet so that we're prepared for the budget lol

I am very glad if someone can give me an answer. Thanks!

wow! that is a really gorgeous kitchen remodel. I am also planning to have a remodel including my countertops in the kitchen lol
I hope my husband would take an effort in doing like this kind of stuff.

Do you guys have any source/website that I can look for some information about different kinds of surface for a countertop? I want to do some canvas first on the internet so that we're prepared for the budget lol

I am very glad if someone can give me an answer. Thanks!

Here is my latest update on the kitchen. Just some touch up with paint. One more small section of tile. Then the floor. I can post a pic of the other side of the kitchen later.

kitchen.jpg

As far as the counter tops go. I also did a ton of research on what I wanted to do. Each type of counter top material has its own pros and cons. And the price is all over the place. I knew I wanted some sort of stone/marble from the start. I had 6 private contractors come to my home. And quote the same material/install. The prices varied by 3500.00 At that point. I bought a few pieces of plywood and used it for temporary counter tops until I could figure out the best option. Lowes had the granite counter top I really wanted. But it was almost 5000.00 over my budget. But, I knew they had sales. So I waited. Sure enough. About a month later they had it at 30% off including the install. And they honored my 10% military discount. Lowes sub contracts this work out. And the company that did the work was fantastic. I found that these sites helped:
https://countertopguides.com/materials.html
https://www.popularmechanics.com/ho...-to/a3080/how-to-choose-the-right-countertop/
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro...-cons-costs-10-countertop-materials/index.htm Below is the old kitchen.My remodel was very intensive because I moved all the appliances to new locations. I gutted the entire kitchen to the studs. Ran all new utilities. Where the stove is I took the wall down. And moved the sink there. And moved the stove to its new location on the other side of the kitchen. The dishwasher was where the stove is now.

before.JPG

This photo is a couple months old. Pardon the mess. Here I still have trim work to do. And I'm still gutting the dining room. You can see the unfinished sheet rock. The lights are recessed LEDs on dimmers. The light over the sink is a pendent with LEDs on a dimmer as well. The floor will be the last to go in.

kit3.jpg

I would recommend that you take you time and wait for the best pricing/option you can get. Are you doing a complete remodel or just the counter tops?

Last edited:
Looks Great Steve!!!
And I've done a few.
Love the color scheme too!!
What do you put in the top sections of the 42" high wall cabinets?
Like.

Bear

Reactions: deb.williams
Looks Great Steve!!!
And I've done a few.
Love the color scheme too!!
What do you put in the top sections of the 42" high wall cabinets?
Like.

Bear

Thanks Bear. Just things we don't need often. Bulk spices, fancy glasses, stuff like that. Works out well.

Thanks Bear. Just things we don't need often. Bulk spices, fancy glasses, stuff like that. Works out well.

OK, Thanks---I was just curious, because I made a few kitchens like that, and I always wondered what they put up there, but I never asked.

Bear

Here is my latest update on the kitchen. Just some touch up with paint. One more small section of tile. Then the floor. I can post a pic of the other side of the kitchen later.

View attachment 395465

As far as the counter tops go. I also did a ton of research on what I wanted to do. Each type of counter top material has its own pros and cons. And the price is all over the place. I knew I wanted some sort of stone/marble from the start. I had 6 private contractors come to my home. And quote the same material/install. The prices varied by 3500.00 At that point. I bought a few pieces of plywood and used it for temporary counter tops until I could figure out the best option. Lowes had the granite counter top I really wanted. But it was almost 5000.00 over my budget. But, I knew they had sales. So I waited. Sure enough. About a month later they had it at 30% off including the install. And they honored my 10% military discount. Lowes sub contracts this work out. And the company that did the work was fantastic. I found that these sites helped:
https://countertopguides.com/materials.html
https://www.popularmechanics.com/ho...-to/a3080/how-to-choose-the-right-countertop/
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro...-cons-costs-10-countertop-materials/index.htm Below is the old kitchen.My remodel was very intensive because I moved all the appliances to new locations. I gutted the entire kitchen to the studs. Ran all new utilities. Where the stove is I took the wall down. And moved the sink there. And moved the stove to its new location on the other side of the kitchen. The dishwasher was where the stove is now.

View attachment 395466

This photo is a couple months old. Pardon the mess. Here I still have trim work to do. And I'm still gutting the dining room. You can see the unfinished sheet rock. The lights are recessed LEDs on dimmers. The light over the sink is a pendent with LEDs on a dimmer as well. The floor will be the last to go in.

View attachment 395468

I would recommend that you take you time and wait for the best pricing/option you can get. Are you doing a complete remodel or just the counter tops?
Thank you so much for this. Also, i found this site https://marble.com/articles/granite-countertop-cost-expectations-and-factors-to-consider is this a good source?

"OK, Thanks---I was just curious, because I made a few kitchens like that, and I always wondered what they put up there, but I never asked.

Bear"

The answer to that is very easy. If you're 6' 4" tall with mega-long arms, all of the upper cabinet space is fully usable :emoji_wink:

Robert

Nice job Steve, the kitchen looks wonderful.

Chris

"OK, Thanks---I was just curious, because I made a few kitchens like that, and I always wondered what they put up there, but I never asked.

Bear"

The answer to that is very easy. If you're 6' 4" tall with mega-long arms, all of the upper cabinet space is fully usable :emoji_wink:

Robert

Well---There's my problem---I'm only 6' 3".

Bear

Steve, can you tell me what the exhaust hood Make and Model is? Assuming this one has the capability to suck the air out of the room :D

"Well---There's my problem---I'm only 6' 3".

Bear"

Simple fix to that problem. Just have the wall cabinets built 41" instead of 42". Nobody will notice the difference. Problem solved :emoji_blush:

Part of the solution....sort of,
Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky