• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Shang Tang - Taiwanese Sausage

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Staff member
Moderator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
5,245
2,108
Joined Jan 4, 2014
This looks like a good one for sure, however, I think I'd mix and stuff a bit differently!  
 

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
21,606
3,322
Joined Oct 4, 2012
 
This looks like a good one for sure, however, I think I'd mix and stuff a bit differently!  
Yes my thoughts exactly! I'll be using the 5# LEMon squeezer.

I hand cut 75% of the meat when I make linguica. The other 25% I run through the course grind on the grinder. So for the first batch I may go that route.

I will also use hog casings and not collagen.

I probably will add cure to the sausage, even though non was used in the video. That two day drying thing ya know.
 
Last edited:

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
13,803
5,506
Joined Jun 25, 2014
 
 
This looks like a good one for sure, however, I think I'd mix and stuff a bit differently!  
Yes my thoughts exactly! I'll be using the 5# LEMon squeezer.

I hand cut 75% of the meat when I make linguica. The other 25% I run through the course grind on the grinder. So for the first batch I may go that route.

I will also use hog casings and not collagen.

I probably will add cure to the sausage, even though non was used in the video. That two day drying thing ya know.
Are you going to use the funnel or the lemon squeezer ? 
 

crazymoon

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
6,064
1,565
Joined Aug 24, 2014
DS2003, I looked at the ingredients and they look good but what is a rice bowl for measurements?
 

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
21,606
3,322
Joined Oct 4, 2012
DS2003, I looked at the ingredients and they look good but what is a rice bowl for measurements?:confused: :icon_biggrin:
What you don't have rice bowls? We have rice bowls.

They are pretty close to 2 cups of liquid.
 
Last edited:

SFLsmkr1

Legendary Pitmaster
Staff member
Moderator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
9,392
2,399
Joined Dec 25, 2010
I had this at a taiwanese eatery, this is good.

didnt the Nudge make a song about this   
 

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
Moderator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
19,081
3,452
Joined May 12, 2011
That looks really good. Some Old School hand processing. The ingredient list said Dried Garlic but the Golden Color and her accent sounded like Fried Garlic, similar used in Thai cuisine. What do you think?...JJ
 

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
21,606
3,322
Joined Oct 4, 2012
That looks really good. Some Old School hand processing. The ingredient list said Dried Garlic but the Golden Color and her accent sounded like Fried Garlic, similar used in Thai cuisine. What do you think?...JJ
In my research of this sausage several of the other recipes that I have read list dried garlic as the ingredient. I suppose one could use fried.

The Vietnamese Pho shop I like adds fried garlic and onion to some of their dishes. Love it! It's almost as good as the gribeness you get when making schmaltz.
 

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
10,459
4,213
Joined Oct 31, 2012
Har. I await this post with baited breath, Case!

Disco
 

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
10,459
4,213
Joined Oct 31, 2012
It is in the works! It will be a few weeks. Taking the one how puts up with me on a well deserved mini-vacation!
Be good (buy the $10 wine instead of the $5). Be nice to her. Have a good time!
 

gearjammer

Master of the Pit
1,472
172
Joined Apr 6, 2015
Better use the funnel method when stuffing these.

That two day drying time could be four with all the

extra water for your LEMon squeezer.  


I will be looking for this one, sounds good.

Hope ya'll enjoy the vacation.

   Ed
 

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
21,606
3,322
Joined Oct 4, 2012
 
Better use the funnel method when stuffing these.

That two day drying time could be four with all the

extra water for your LEMon squeezer.  


I will be looking for this one, sounds good.

Hope ya'll enjoy the vacation.

   Ed
I'm going with the Chinese soup spoon!

 

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.