Shad Roe (Cured)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Shad Roe (Curing Test)

OK guys, I've posted a bunch of other Shad Roe threads, such as the following:

Pan Fried Shad Roe:
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/104682/shad-roe-bears-favorite-food

Broiled Shad Roe:
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/105827/broiled-shad-roe-with-bacon

Chopped & Pan Fried Shad Roe
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/141148/shad-roe-best-ever

So I still want to smoke some Shad Roe, so I decided to try to cure some first. It came out Great, so I figured I'd post it in case anyone's interested.
This came out even better than any of my other non-cured Shad Roe cooks, so I'm sure cured & smoked will be the Bomb!!!
All I have to do is figure out how high a temp I want to smoke it to (somewhere between 145* and 160*), and how to know when it gets there.
That will be my next Shad Roe post---"Shad Roe (Cured and Smoked)". Stay Tuned !!

The Steps are explained above each picture (below).

Enjoy, and Thanks for looking!!
Bear

Note: Go here to see how to prep the raw Shad Roe to my first Step below:
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/104682/shad-roe-bears-favorite-food

Chop up Roe & weigh it. Then weigh the right amount of TQ:
DSCN0387.jpg

Sprinkle TQ over chopped up Shad Roe:
DSCN0389.jpg

Mix real good, cover, and put in fridge over night:
DSCN0392.jpg

Put butter in pan, and begin to fry Cured Shad Roe:
DSCN0394.jpg

Keep flipping it over to get it cooked evenly:
DSCN0396.jpg

Dump into bowl, and add a little more butter. Time to Eat !!! This Stuff is Awesome!!!
DSCN0397.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: gary s
Morning Bear..... Looks good to me....

I thought you were going to smoke Shad Roe home made Caviar.... silver spoon and all that stuff.... When you gonna do that.....

Morning Bear..... Looks good to me....

I thought you were going to smoke Shad Roe home made Caviar.... silver spoon and all that stuff.... When you gonna do that.....
Thanks Dave!!!

Nope---Never had caviar. I only eat the eggs when they're tiny, and then I always cook them, one way or another.  
biggrin.gif

Bear

Oh Bear, you're just amazing!!!

Shad roe is still on my list to sample, although around here I'll most likely do better at finding some come Spring or after, right?

In any event it is fantastic to see what you do make! Terrific sounding indeed!!!

Cheers!!!!!! - Leah

Oh Bear, you're just amazing!!!

Shad roe is still on my list to sample, although around here I'll most likely do better at finding some come Spring or after, right?

In any event it is fantastic to see what you do make! Terrific sounding indeed!!!

Cheers!!!!!! - Leah
Thank You Leah!!

I was hoping you'd see this.

I only have one step to go on this, and that's smoking after curing. Gonna be Awesome!!

Yes I'm thinking late February to mid April in the stores.

Late March to Late May catching in the Rivers. (a little later up your way)

I think I still have some left in my freezer.

Bear

I love it, breakfast of champions
biggrin.gif
Thank You Buddy!!

I figured I could count on you to comment.

It seems to be just the 3 of us who aren't to scared to find out how awesome this stuff can be.

Bear

You always make it look so good but I have tried it a couple of times and it is just too strong for my taste...JJ

You always make it look so good but I have tried it a couple of times and it is just too strong for my taste...JJ
You can't just take it out of the Fish, or out of the package, and throw it in the pan.

You gotta soak it in salt water to get the blood out.

Not strong at all then---Doesn't even smell like strong smelling fish----Both of my Sisters love it, and the older one is a Vegan.

Bear

Try some MULLET ROE If you can get some, fried or smoked in the egg sack...  The season is about November-January.  Just don't eat too much...
Never saw any in stores, and I never caught any Mullet, but it looks a lot like Shad Roe. I'm sure I'd love it.

Did you ever eat Shad Roe, with any of my methods??

Broiled in the sack.

Pan Fried in the sack.

Pan Fried loose.

Cured & Pan Fried loose.

My next way is going to be Cured & Smoked loose.

Bear

Yup, They look good !!

Only difference I see is Shad roe is usually pink, and a little bigger (not much).

I'll have to keep my eyes open for them.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky