Serious Philly Cheesesteak Craving!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA

Serious Philly Cheesesteak Craving!!

I get these Cheesesteak Cravings a lot this time of year, because it’s often too nasty out, or the roads are too bad to go get Take-Out from one of the many Steak Sammy Joints in the area.

So this time I fried up some Onion, some Shrooms, and some Chip Steak.
Then put some Steak Sammy Sauce on some rolls, added the above, topping it with some American Cheese (Didn’t have any Provolone), and some Hot Peppers. Then Nuked it just long enough to melt the Cheese.

Then the Next night I threw a couple Webers together, which is leftover Chipped Steak mixed with a little Miracle Whip, topped with Melted Cheese. I left out the Lettuce & Tomatoes this time. (If you like it Bland, use Mayo instead of MW)

This all took care of my Cheesesteak Cravings for another couple Weeks!!!

Bear

Some Onions frying in Butter:
IMG_1687.jpg

All Fried Up:
IMG_1688.jpg

Our new favorite Shaved Beef Steak:
IMG_1689.jpg

Pulling Steak apart to get it all done evenly:
IMG_1690.jpg

A little sauce on the rolls---Then Steak:
IMG_1691.jpg

Add the Shrooms:
IMG_1692.jpg

Top with Onions, Cheese, and Hot Peppers---Nuke to melt:
IMG_1694.jpg

NEXT NIGHT "Weber"

Chip Steak mixed with Miracle Whip, on a roll:
IMG_1697.jpg

Top with Cheese & Nuke to Melt:
IMG_1698.jpg

Yummm... That is a good sammie bear, just made me really hungry this morning...... I am thinking of doing that up in a fattie when I get home from work......

MMMMmmmm Could you run me one down here Look Great Bear

Gary

Dang, that looks perfect John! These kind of sammies are perfect for white American, which is my favorite for cheese steak sandwiches.

Nice sammies Bear, I could go for one of each! Sure looks tasty.

Thank You Justin!!
And for the Like.

Bear

Yummm... That is a good sammie bear, just made me really hungry this morning...... I am thinking of doing that up in a fattie when I get home from work......

Thank You ABC !!
This makes a Great Fatty---Bear Jr makes them & loves them.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

That philly cheesesteak looks pretty darn good from where I'm sitting. I could sure handle one about now, John.
The weber looks almost as good. It would have to be mayo--I grew up on MW and can't stand the stuff.
Great job on both sammies.
Gary

It's been a long time since I've made Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches, but now I have a craving. I grew up in Chicago where Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches were unknown, and I have to rely on the few that I've had in other cities over the years to know whether a particular recipe provides something that is "authentic." This recipe seems pretty close, and does not require a slicer (although if you have one, you can certainly use it). I think the real sandwiches are chopped on the iron griddle.

Philly Cheesesteaks
If skirt steak is unavailable, substitute sirloin steak tips (also called flap meat). Top these sandwiches with chopped pickled hot peppers, sautéed onions or bell peppers, sweet relish, or hot sauce.

2 pounds skirt steak, trimmed and sliced with grain into 3-inch-wide strips
4 (8-inch) Italian sub rolls, split lengthwise
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
½ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
8 slices white American cheese (8 ounces)

Place steak pieces on large plate or baking sheet and freeze until very firm, about 1 hour.

Meanwhile, adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Spread split rolls on baking sheet and toast until lightly browned, 5 to 10 minutes.

Using sharp knife, shave steak pieces as thinly as possible against grain. Mound meat on cutting board and chop coarsely with knife 10 to 20 times.

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat until smoking. Add half of meat in even layer and cook without stirring until well browned on 1 side, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir and continue to cook until meat is no longer pink, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer meat to colander set in large bowl. Wipe out skillet with paper towel. Repeat with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and sliced meat.

Return now-empty skillet to medium heat. Drain excess moisture from meat. Return meat to skillet (discard any liquid in bowl) and add salt and pepper. Heat, stirring constantly, until meat is warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low, sprinkle with Parmesan, and shingle slices of American cheese over meat. Allow cheeses to melt, about 2 minutes. Using heatproof spatula or wooden spoon, fold melted cheese into meat thoroughly. Divide mixture evenly among toasted rolls. Serve immediately.

Bear They do look good! Sure could use more hot peppers with this weather.I think I saved some trimmings from the last Filet I bought LIKE
Richie

Another great looking meal Bear. Keep your chin up this cold has to end eventually.

Point for sure.

Chris

MMMMmmmm Could you run me one down here Look Great Bear

Gary

Thank You Gary!!
I'm too old to run that far, but if I could, I'd bring you 2 to make the trip worthwhile.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Dang, that looks perfect John! These kind of sammies are perfect for white American, which is my favorite for cheese steak sandwiches.

Thank You Pete!!
I actually prefer Provolone on Cheesesteaks, but we only stock American.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Last edited:
Those look fantastic. Shaved beef must be a regional thing. I do breakfast burritos most mornings, and when we move the RV to a new area, I usually have to "train" a butcher on slicing some flank or skirt up for me. Never see it actually packaged like that.

That philly cheesesteak looks pretty darn good from where I'm sitting. I could sure handle one about now, John.
The weber looks almost as good. It would have to be mayo--I grew up on MW and can't stand the stuff.
Great job on both sammies.
Gary

Thank You Gary!!
If you need Mayo when you're here, I can get some at my Son's house, down the driveway.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

As usual your sammies make me drool!
Very nicely done!
Congrats on making the carousel!
Al

Thank You Much Al !!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Bear They do look good! Sure could use more hot peppers with this weather.I think I saved some trimmings from the last Filet I bought LIKE
Richie

Thank You Richie!!!
Appreciate the Like.

Bear

Another great looking meal Bear. Keep your chin up this cold has to end eventually.
Point for sure

Chris

Thanks Chris!!
Seems this Cold crap bothers me more every year!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky