Serious Philly Cheesesteak Craving!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sorry---Double Post---Old Age--My Fault.

Bear

Last edited:
Those look delicious Bear
This is off subject but how do you like that copper pan? I've heard good and bad. Need something for eggs
Great work again bear

Those look fantastic. Shaved beef must be a regional thing. I do breakfast burritos most mornings, and when we move the RV to a new area, I usually have to "train" a butcher on slicing some flank or skirt up for me. Never see it actually packaged like that.

Thank You Pete!!
Yeah it must be regional, because ALL the markets around here have various Name Brands of Chip Streak (Shaved Beef).
We used to get "Landis Beef", who has a Plant about 10 miles from here, but theirs started getting too much gristle. Now we usually get "Weis" Brand---Very Tender--ZERO Gristle!!!

Bear

Chip beef? My parents used to served "chipped beef." Not sure if it is the same thing, but I later learned during WWII those in the army called it SOS, which translated roughly as "'stuff' on a shingle." I was NOT a fan.

Chip beef? My parents used to served "chipped beef." Not sure if it is the same thing, but I later learned during WWII those in the army called it SOS, which translated roughly as "'stuff' on a shingle." I was NOT a fan.

Nope.
You're thinking of "Chipped Beef"---I said this was Chipped Steak. Completely different.

Chipped Beef is Cured & chipped (sliced thin) for Dried Beef. It is often mixed in a white Gravy & called "Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast". The stuff we had in the Army was called Shit on a Shingle, but that was made with Ground Burger beef---Not Dried Beef. Dried Beef was much too expensive for the Army to use on the Troops, which is why actual SOS was made with Ground Beef.

This is a Whole different thing:
Chipped Steak is used like in this thread, for Cheesesteaks---Also called "Shaved Beef".

Bear

Those look delicious Bear
This is off subject but how do you like that copper pan? I've heard good and bad. Need something for eggs
Great work again bear

Thank You Phil !!
I can honestly say that is the best little Frying Pan we ever had.
I make my Eggs every morning in it & they NEVER Stick!!
And it only cost about $20.

Bear

Bear,

Thanks for the education. You describe exactly what my mother served us in the late 50s (the creamed chipped beef on toast). It came pre-sliced and I think had some sort of pink dye because it still looked pink when swimming around in that awful cream sauce. I had no idea it was considered to be good stuff and so, when I later heard about "SOS," I thought it was the same thing. Sounds like the real SOS was truly horrible.

Bear,

Thanks for the education. You describe exactly what my mother served us in the late 50s (the creamed chipped beef on toast). It came pre-sliced and I think had some sort of pink dye because it still looked pink when swimming around in that awful cream sauce. I had no idea it was considered to be good stuff and so, when I later heard about "SOS," I thought it was the same thing. Sounds like the real SOS was truly horrible.

You're right---The real SOS, which is Ground Beef & gravy on toast is Disgusting!! The Army proved that to me.

"Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast" is Great, and it is made from my favorite "Dried Beef" (AKA "Chipped Beef"):
This is what it's made from:
Dried Beef (Best Ever)

The Army would not use that because it costs a fortune, like about $12 to $18 per pound, because of how much you lose in the Curing & Drying process.
That wasn't "Pink dye"----It is Pink because it is "Cured".

Bear

The Qview in your step-by-step for making Dried Beef looks great and your end product looks really appetizing, sort of a beef equivalent to Canadian bacon. Not at all what I recall from all those years ago.

I just did a quick search, and this is what I remember seeing on my plate as a kid:

creamed-chipped-beef.jpg

This picture happens to include what looks like canned peas (I hate canned peas, even though I love fresh ones). We had canned peas with this dish.

I don't remember any smoke or any nice cure flavor (I loved both bacon and ham as a kid). It was just dry. In fact, you called your recipe "Dried beef" and that is how I remember it: totally dry (even though smothered in that sauce), with no hint of any original beef flavor.

Of course this was the late 50s and early 60s, which was the heyday of pre-packaged food (the dried beef came in a clear plastic package). Examples of iconic, but awful, early attempts at heat and serve food that I ate were Chef Boyardee canned ravioli, Betty Crocker pre-mixed pancakes, and the original frozen pizzas by Appian Way. I often had to cook my own food when I came home for lunch from grade school (no cafeterias back then) and I would cook one of these for my meal (can't believe someone is selling this on eBay):

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
Bear is too young to know this but SOS in the WWII era was actually dried beef. My dad absolutely refused to eat the stuff having spent way too much time fighting in Italy, France and Germany. The worst part, he said, was that the cream gravy was based on powdered milk.
SOS later morphed into that hamburger based concoction.

The Qview in your step-by-step for making Dried Beef looks great and your end product looks really appetizing, sort of a beef equivalent to Canadian bacon. Not at all what I recall from all those years ago.

I just did a quick search, and this is what I remember seeing on my plate as a kid:

This picture happens to include what looks like canned peas (I hate canned peas, even though I love fresh ones). We had canned peas with this dish.

I don't remember any smoke or any nice cure flavor (I loved both bacon and ham as a kid). It was just dry. In fact, you called your recipe "Dried beef" and that is how I remember it: totally dry (even though smothered in that sauce), with no hint of any original beef flavor.

Of course this was the late 50s and early 60s, which was the heyday of pre-packaged food (the dried beef came in a clear plastic package). Examples of iconic, but awful, early attempts at heat and serve food that I ate were Chef Boyardee canned ravioli, Betty Crocker pre-mixed pancakes, and the original frozen pizzas by Appian Way. I often had to cook my own food when I came home for lunch from grade school (no cafeterias back then) and I would cook one of these for my meal (can't believe someone is selling this on eBay):

The store bought is Very Dry, because they have to follow rules, and they often make it shelf stable.
If you read some of my Step by Steps, I mention that I don't over-do the Drying, because I like to eat mine in Cold Sammies, instead of on toast, and if you put the Dry Store bought Dried beef in a Sammy, it will suck the moisture right out of the bread. You would love Dried Beef the way I make it, with my time Smoking & finished IT. It's not in any way overly Dry.
Also, John, I wish you wouldn't have started this in this Thread, because this has nothing to do with "Cheesesteaks". Now you got me Hi-Jacking my own Thread.:rolleyes:

Bear

Last edited:
Bear is too young to know this but SOS in the WWII era was actually dried beef. My dad absolutely refused to eat the stuff having spent way too much time fighting in Italy, France and Germany. The worst part, he said, was that the cream gravy was based on powdered milk.
SOS later morphed into that hamburger based concoction.

I'm not too young to remember the Rumors, but my understanding is during WW2 some outfits had Dried Beef, but most had Burger in their SOS. My Dad & my FIL were both in the Army during WW2, and they had Ground Beef in theirs. They hated it, but my Dad made it often when I was a Kid, only he used Dried Beef, and always said, "Boy I wish they'd have made it like this in the Army. Most guys didn't even know what was in it---All they knew was they hated it.

Then by the time I was in the Army (68 to 71), it was much too expensive to feed Millions Dried Beef, so it was 100% Ground Beef. The Air Force, and maybe the Navy might have had Dried Beef, but they always had better food than the Army.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky