Sell by Date?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bill ace 350

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
I purchased 3 small boneless pork shoulder roasts I would like to cure using Pop's recipe.

The sell by date is 9/17/2018.

Am I too late to start curing?

Thanks,

Sell by date and use by dates are 2 different things. Sell by date gives you more time before use. Have at it and show some photos of process.

Warren

Sell by date and use by dates are 2 different things. Sell by date gives you more time before use. Have at it and show some photos of process.

Warren
This brings up a question I've always had... I am ultra paranoid about dates on food, always have been since getting a bad swig of milk one time. .... What is a general rule for usage of meat after " sell by " date ? I swear i convince myself things smell funny if its even a day after the " sell by " date. I realize things such as fridge temp, type of meat, cure , etc : play into this. Just wonder if there's a sorta rule of thumb here. Great question by the OP.

Way too many variables to put a Use By or Die date on food. Assuming the Grocery store handled the product right...How quick did You get it in the refer. Are you 30 minutes from the store or 2 hours? Is your refer running properly at 38° or less? Has the product be opened? A cryovac sealed cut of meat, pork tender, can last 2 weeks past the Sell By and 7-10 days past Use By. A trimmed pork steak of a foam tray has 3 days past sell by before it gets funky. Is the refer qrequently opened and the kids stare in for 20 minutes then whine there is nothing to eat. Or, is the refer only opened a short time and perishable items are on the back of the bottom shelf, coldest place? An unopened gallon of milk will easily last a week past the Use By Date. But, that milk you chug out of the bottle, when no one looking, has 3 days, maybe.
Best plan is to Forget the Dates! Don't buy more perisable foods than you will use in 7 days. If there is a crazy sale on Trimmed and wrapped Butts, freeze what you won't use in 3 days. Cryovac Butts, you got 7-10 days to use or freeze...JJ

Well looks like you received a lot of information to your questions. There are other things that play into this (like your milk) how did the store handle the product, is their fridge system up to par, is it placed in fridge as soon as possible or did it sit out for a while? Even down to the transportation co how did they handle it?

Warren

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky