Seeking Advice for a Little Surprise

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

freda

Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
Western Pennsylvania
Hello,

I'm on a mission to surprise my husband with a smoker.  I've been doing some research and doing my homework, but there are so many choices and options out there.  So I've come here in the hopes of obtaining information and recommendations for a very intelligent, first-time newbie (that would be the hubby - he's very smart) to smoking.  Of course, I am too, but this is all about him.  I think wood smoking is probably the best and most natural method.  I believe that would be his preference.  Just need to figure out the best reasonably priced, quality smoker and one that would really make his day.  Any input would be appreciated.

Freda

I would suggest a Weber Smokey Mountain, use charcoal and wood chunks. Great smoker and easy to use. Personally for me a wood smoker is the best I agree. They are expensive and there is a learning curve to use them. You are going to spend a couple thousand dollars for a good one and they require a lot of attention. I would not to suggest one for a first smoker. I would also like to recommend the Char grill Akorn. I have one and love it, here is a link if you want to check it out

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/11099657391658776974?q=char

I 2nd Gary with the Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM). You use charcoal (wood product) and wood chunks so that covers your wood desires, its a quality cooker and its a very reasonable price. I think that covers all your goals, and then after if you want to get hi-tech you can purchase a device such as a BBQ Guru which will make the WSM almost a complete set it and forget it unit.

What kind of budget are you looking at?

Keep in mind electrics are more of a set and forget solution than a smoker that uses wood or charcoal and with a much shorter learning curve.  If you know he has done smoking before and likes it spend more on your purchase to get something nice, you can feel good about doing that since you already have the confidence that he will like the hobby.

If I may suggest a good thermometer as well. You should cook to temperature not time. This will be just as valuable of a tool as the smoker itself. Maverick makes a good product and you can monitor things from a remote location (IE; inside the house).

I am one of the many on here that prefer using the Masterbuilt electric smoker paired up with an Amazen Pellet Smoker.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.  Appreciate all the insight.  If you or anyone thinks of anything else, please post.  Still much to review and consider, but rest assured I will find the right smoker and gadgets to go with it.  :)

Freda, welcome to the Forum, check out our sponsors (on the side ) and the ratings also. Getting comments from any friends is noteworthy too, sorry , but I am a "Stickburner":

a little more than you really want , however an old man once told me, " find what you what and get the next size bigger"
ROTF.gif

Christmas is coming, do a layaway and Q-view of opening.We whant to see his face...

Well, my third smoker is a Lang and it is a stick burner and I am very happy with it, I guess you could start there. Right now you are looking at about $3,500 with delivery but I could have saved about $400 not buying pits I really dont use anymore but I really do love the Char-griller egg I put the link up to. I can sear a steak, cook a pizza and do low and slow and once I get the temp stable it is pretty much on cruse control for 12 hours plus on a load of lump charcoal.

welcome1.gif
to SMF!!! We're happy you found us! You've come to the right place, we have over 40,000 members and over 800,000 posts so you should be able to find almost anything you want to know. Remember the search bar at the top can be your best friend for finding answers fast!

You might want to check out Jeff's Free 5 day E-course it will teach you all the basics and a whole lot more!

Depending on how many he will be cooking for... there are 2 different sizes of the WSM .. 18.5" and 22.5".. but most of the time after somebody buys the 18.5" a couple of months later they are saying they wished they woulda bought the bigger one... but there again it depends on how many he will be cooking for...

If he likes tinkering and building things... there is what we call the "Mini WSM".. you just buy the parts and put it together... it can be built for around $100 and works GREAT... I just did a turket breast on mine today... here's a link to the build.. click on it and read threw and see what ya think...

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/124570/my-version-of-the-mini-wsm

If ya want more info just ask.. there are others that built one a s well

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky