seasoning weber smokey mountain

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chasec5308

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 4, 2019
piney woods ms
hey guys i just purchased a WSM smoker this weekend ( It should be here wednesday) and im wanting to cook on it this weekend. I've watched youtube videos and read on google about seasoning it and im finding differing opinions. Some say you should, others say it isnt necessary. I trust yalls opinion more so should i season it before cooking on it? Thanks

As a Weberholic I say not necessary. It's porcelain coated so no machine oils. Just clean the grates and let it do it's thing.

Chris

Last edited:
I'm with Chris on this one. I too just fired mine up the first time and let it roll for about an hour at temp then I put a rib eye roast on it with Pecan wood & charcoal. We love our WSM. Seasoned with cooking.

Reactions: Chasec5308
I agree with Chris , but at the same time it don't hurt . I did mine , just because I wanted to see how it ran . Wash the grates off , put it together and fire it up and let it run . One thing you will want to do in my opinion is attach the charcoal ring to the charcoal grate .

I washed the grates, fired it up, and with an empty water pan and no meat, played with the lower vents over several hours to get a feel for their settings and the smoker's response. Then I loaded some chicken and smoked our dinner.

I didn't season mine, mostly because I was too excited to have it fired up, and not cooking something on it seems like a waste.

I did ribs for my first smoke. They were super simple and turned out great.

Like many of the others, I just fired mine up and used it.

A You Tube vid by T-Roy Cooks showed me the vent settings. I used them, and my WSM (22") chugged along at 225 degrees. A week later, using the same settings, it again purred along at 225.

Enjoy your WSM. I love mine.

Attachments

• m_DSCN0823.jpg
    m_DSCN0823.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 23
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky