Scrapple (Bear’s Favorite Brand)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bob, growing up did you ever have Deli Sliced Hormel Oval Spiced Ham, the Sliced Square, Hormel or Armor Chopped Ham or the 60's and 70's holiday party staple, Canned Ham? These Canned variety meats are all related. They put the largest muscle portions for fancy Canned Hams but got to do something with small pieces and trim. Hence the rest, Chopped, Spiced and Spam all being finer grinds seasoned different ways and canned...JJ

Your a Man's man, John. Shad Roe is way too strong a flavor for my taste. I have enjoyed Aged Goat Cheeses that the smell could knock you over but Shad Roe is just too Fishy foe me...JJ

That's because nobody taught you how to prepare a set of Shad Roe:
You don't have to be a "Man's Man"---My brother & both of My Sisters love Shad Roe too, as does my Son.
Many Restaurants serve Shad Roe when in season, and the restaurants don't smell any more fishy than when they broil any other fish.
There's a Restaurant near here (The Sorrel Horse) that used to have a "Prime Rib" Special Night, and a "Shad Roe" Special Night, and the place got just as packed when they had Shad Roe as when they had Prime Rib. People would come from all over for their Shad Roe, after their Shad Roe was featured in a "Fine Dining" magazine.
If you would just look closer at my Step by Steps on "Shad Roe", you would know how to remedy the strength of the flavor & smell of Shad Roe. All I do is soak them in cold Salt Water for a few hours to over night. Then soak them in fresh cold water for awhile to get rid of the salt. The soaking in salt water draws the blood out of the Shad Roe. It is the blood in the Roe that bothers you, because you don't do this.
If you had Shad Roe at my house you would know what I mean, You'd love it, but the chances of that are slim, because due to the cost of Shad Roe, I can't even find any these last couple years. They have gotten so expensive, due to so many people loving them, that my stores "Giant" and "Weis" don't even carry them any more.
Eight years ago I got 25 sets from a Wholesaler near Lansdale for $7.50 a set.
Then a couple years later I paid $10 a set for 8 sets at Giant.
Since that I looked for them every Spring, and when I asked the fish guy, he said he didn't think they were gonna get any, and if they did, they would be at least $15 per set.
So seeing how I don't fish any more, I believe my Shad Roe enjoyment days are over.

Here's how to make them right, to anyone who can find any & wants to try them:
Shad Roe (Pan Fried)
Shad Roe (Broiled with Bacon on Toast)
Shad Roe (Pan Fried Loose with Bacon)
Shad Roe (Cured & Pan Fried Loose)

Bear

Thanks for the response John. I trust you have the preparation down and make a great Shad Roe. Unfortunately, this far north west and 2-3 hour from a big city like Pittsburgh or Erie, Fresh Fish is nearly impossible to find, let alone Shad Roe. I would give it another chance though...JJ

Sometimes, depending on my mood, I might too, but they both have their place.

I think it goes back to what you grew up eating. Scrapple and boudin are very similar, just different carbohydrates in them really....I also prefer rice over potatoes most of the time. Grew up on rice and gravy....

Thanks for the response John. I trust you have the preparation down and make a great Shad Roe. Unfortunately, this far north west and 2-3 hour from a big city like Pittsburgh or Erie, Fresh Fish is nearly impossible to find, let alone Shad Roe. I would give it another chance though...JJ

I wish I had access to some decently priced Shad Roe, and you would definitely be invited back to near your old residence, for a try at some Awesome Broiled Shad Roe. You wouldn't believe how Tasty it can be.

Bear

Looking to try to make my first batch of scrapple. Probably a stupid question, but, when you boil the pigs heads, do you remove the brains or leave them in and scoop 'em out into the scrapple mix?

Looking to try to make my first batch of scrapple. Probably a stupid question, but, when you boil the pigs heads, do you remove the brains or leave them in and scoop 'em out into the scrapple mix?

There's probably differing methods. I would ask somebody like chef jimmyj chef jimmyj what he recommends.

I get my favorite Scrapple like this (below):

Bear
scrapple-500x500.jpg

Virtually every recipe I have seen or followed for Head Cheese, Scrapple, Etc. Called for a Split Head, eyes, ears and brain removed. I doubt there is a Safety issue simmering a whole head. Considering, Pork Brains and Eggs is a popular dish as are Boiled or Braised Pigs Ears. They are likely removed for other dishes. EYES? That's on you Bro! The muscles that control the eyes taste good, but Sucking the Juices out is not my thing...JJ

Reactions: Bearcarver
Thanks JimmyJ - I'll probably remove the brains, though I know people eat them. My grandmother grew up in Poland and she said it was a treat to have brains sauteed in butter. And yes, the eyes will be coming out for sure. Kind of surprised about the ears though - I thought they would be acceptable?

Thanks JimmyJ - I'll probably remove the brains, though I know people eat them. My grandmother grew up in Poland and she said it was a treat to have brains sauteed in butter. And yes, the eyes will be coming out for sure. Kind of surprised about the ears though - I thought they would be acceptable?

LOL---I can remember my Mother making "Cow Brains" a few times (Must have been cheap!!).
I remember kinda liking them too.
However I don't plan on looking for them any time soon, even if Mrs Bear wouldn't object. LOL
I Never had "Pig Brains" (That I know of), but since I've eaten a lot of Scrapple in my 70 year life, I expect I've eaten a lot of things I don't know about.

Bear

Last edited:
Sorry for late reply been out of town. Yes the brains were remover as well as the eyes.

My friends wife would scramble them in eggs not my thing though.

Warren

Scrapple...The breakfast meat delivered to earth by angel wings...
Me and a few of my buddies believe Hughes Brand - Delaware Maid Scrapple is by far the best. Perfect blend of organs and mush along with enough fat to create a crispy crust outside and soft inside for perfect texture/flavor.
Not much else to crow about here in Central Delaware beside scrapple...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Scrapple_Festival

Reactions: HalfSmoked
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky