Scrapple (Bear’s Favorite Brand)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Haven't had scrapple since I left Jersey 49 years ago. If I can eat Haggis, guess I can eat about anything (except Spam!) Might look for that city boy recipe. Got some friends here from Jersey and Philly and they liked my first attempt at Taylor Ham. "Surprise guys, here's some scrapple!!" :emoji_laughing:

Looks good Bear! I never had store bought but there is a restaurant that serves it near here and it is terrific.

Well I have never had it, and it really isn't to appealing to me, but if you say it's good. Then I would give it a try!
Who knows it may become my favorite food!!
Now the blueberry pie is right up my alley!!!
Al

Your a Man's man, John. Shad Roe is way too strong a flavor for my taste. I have enjoyed Aged Goat Cheeses that the smell could knock you over but Shad Roe is just too Fishy foe me...JJ

Sounds good....

Now I'm going to have to make some panhas.....

Sliced thin, fried until crispy. Nothing added to it except for butter, salt and pepper to taste.

Looks Tasty to me, I've never had it But would sure give it a try.

Gary

Thank You Gary!!
I'd bet you'd like it.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Heard of it , never had it . Looks like it would be worth a try . The place by me that sells the Taylor's ham had scrapple in the same case .

If they make good Scrapple, I know you'd like it.
I know you'd love this "Hatfield" Brand.

Bear

I agree Hatfield is great. We buy from a local butcher that is great too. Over easy eggs right on top of mine is my favorite.

When you freeze scrapple in the whole piece it becomes mealy and falls a part when you thaw it. Slice and freeze on a cookie sheet then bag. Take frozen piece and put in fry pan it will stay in one piece.

Warren

Thank You Warren!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

You know I first heard of Scrapple from Bizarre foods and I've always wanted to try it since! Looks good Mr Bear!

Thank You Tom!!
Bet you'd like it, if you get a good one, like Hatfield's.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

I've had it, but prefer boudin.....

Sometimes, depending on my mood, I might too, but they both have their place.

Bear

Nice! I love scrapple and I eat it A LOT!!

Hatfield brand is good and so is Habbersett (I prefer that one). Rapa is way too salty:

My family makes it every year, and I usually get a 10lb pan of it. Once I eat that, I buy the store bought stuff.

Guess I know what I’m having for breakfast tomorrow.

Like!

Thank You Xray!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Can't say I've ever eaten or seen scrapple before, and I'm not sure I would eat it knowingly.

Point for eating it.

Chris

Thank You Chris!
Like I've been telling others, "It depends on the Scrapple":
I've had a lot of so-so Scrapple, that isn't bad, but nothing Great.
Then I had a couple that were terrible (Greasy, or bad texture, or bad flavor).
Then I had a couple that were Pretty good, and One stands above the rest, and that is "Hatfield", and if I was to introduce Scrapple to someone for the first time, it would be Hatfield's. If anybody tries that, and doesn't like it, they are indeed hard to please.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

For anyone wanting to try it. Here is the recipe my father used for many years. So many fond memories.... Scrapple

Matt

Last edited:
Dad liked his onions, and it's what we grew up with. Today, I cut the amount in half.

I will have to see if I can find that brand. I only like homemade.

Thank You Adam!!
I've had a couple of HomeMade Scrapple plates, but none of them could hold a candle to Hatfield.
I would think you would be able to get Hatfield as far as your house in Central PA.

Bear

Haven't had scrapple since I left Jersey 49 years ago. If I can eat Haggis, guess I can eat about anything (except Spam!) Might look for that city boy recipe. Got some friends here from Jersey and Philly and they liked my first attempt at Taylor Ham. "Surprise guys, here's some scrapple!!" :emoji_laughing:

Don't like SPAM! :emoji_astonished:

Thank You Bob!!
I love Spam too, but it has to be sliced Thin & done crispy on the outside.
And of course I love Pork Roll (Taylor Ham) since I was just a Kid.

Bear

Looks good Bear! I never had store bought but there is a restaurant that serves it near here and it is terrific.

Thank You Gator!!
Around here the problem with Restaurants is they overdo Scrapple:
Scrapple is best cut fairly Thin & crisped up on the outside, but restaurants fry it so hard that it gets dried up & hard as a rock most of the way through.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

My way too thin and crisp soft in the middle.

I was looking at my families scrapple recipe and I had to laugh.

It says 7 hogs 15lbs flour 10lbs corn meal 5lbs buckwheat flour 1lb salt 1lb black pepper 1lb sage. They used the heads and trimmings that didn't go into the sausage.

Warren

Well I have never had it, and it really isn't to appealing to me, but if you say it's good. Then I would give it a try!
Who knows it may become my favorite food!!
Now the blueberry pie is right up my alley!!!
Al

Thank You Al !!
I wish I could Fry up some Hatfield Scrapple for you, I know you'd Love it the way I make it.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky