Scrapple (Bear’s Favorite Brand)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Scrapple (Bear’s Favorite Brand)

It’s been awhile since we last had Scrapple, so Mrs Bear picked up a one pound pack of our favorite Brand.

Over the last 65 years, I’ve had Scrapple from 2 farms, 4 different hunting gangs, about 6 small Family butcher shops, and an unknown number of Grocery Stores & Meat processing places, and none of them were as good as the Name Brand Scrapple we simply buy at our local Food Markets. We’ve been consuming “Hatfield” Scrapple for as far back as I can remember & it is by far the best we’ve ever had.

All we do is slice it about 3/8” to 1/2” Thick, and fry it in a pan with a little Crisco covering the bottom of the pan. It doesn’t have to be floating—Just enough Crisco to keep it from burning.
Then I get a nice crispy surface on it before removing it from the pan.
Some Scrapple is so greasy, you don't need anything else in the pan. I've even had some that was floating in Fat when it was done frying, without adding anything to the pan. (Never got their's again!!)

Some people eat it with Maple Syrup or Molasses, but if it’s a real good Scrapple, I prefer to eat it “As Is”, or with just a bit of Ketchup.

Our favorite side with Scrapple has always been Homefried Taters, and that didn’t change this time.
Mrs Bear Bakes the Taters first. Then after they cool, she peels them & cuts them up, and Fries them in Butter, until a lot of them are well browned.

We each had a slice of Store Bought Blueberry Pie for Dessert, which was surprisingly Tasty.

Enjoy the Pics,

Bear

One 16 ounce pack of "Hatfield" Scrapple & two Taters:
IMG_3195.jpg

One 16 ounce block of Scrapple, ready for slicing:
IMG_3196.jpg

All sliced up. Sorry about the blurry Pic---Had the shakes::emoji_disappointed:
IMG_3197.jpg

Frying 6 slices:
IMG_3198.jpg

Bear's first helping of Scrapple & Homefries:
IMG_3199.jpg

Store Bought Blueberry Pie for Dessert:
IMG_3200.jpg

Looks good Bear. We get scrapple at the commissary from the frozen section. Just not as popular as it once was.

Right there with you Bear! Hatfield is definitely the best commercial Scrapple. Your plate looks great.
Speaking of Mom & Pop Butchers. The best ever Scrapple I had was from Wayne Nell and Sons. http://www.pameats.com
They processed pig's every Tuesday. After cutting, portioning and trimming, the Scraps, Offal, Bones, Skins, went in two huge 50 gallon Steam Kettles with aromatic Veggies, Herbs and Spices. The whole building smelled like Sunday Breakfast at Grandma's House. After about 3 Hours of cooking, the bones were picked clean and every thing but the Gelatinous Broth, was ground fine. They made two preparations. About half the meat went in double length loaf pans and had some Broth mixed in. This meat only loaf set firm and was called Puddin'. The rest of the meat and bulk of the Broth got a big helping of Corn Meal and was simmered until very thick then panned for Scrapple. The Puddin' was great fried or cold on a sandwich. The Scrapple got pan fried crisp. I like my Scrapple with Maple Syrup and Texas Pete Hot Sauce and a side of Over Easy Eggs...JJ

My Army buddy, a Lancaster, PA native, introduced me to scrapple on one of my visits. One time was enough for me. As Bob Dylan said, "It ain't my cup of meat."

Looks Tasty to me, I've never had it But would sure give it a try.

Gary

Heard of it , never had it . Looks like it would be worth a try . The place by me that sells the Taylor's ham had scrapple in the same case .

I agree Hatfield is great. We buy from a local butcher that is great too. Over easy eggs right on top of mine is my favorite.

When you freeze scrapple in the whole piece it becomes mealy and falls a part when you thaw it. Slice and freeze on a cookie sheet then bag. Take frozen piece and put in fry pan it will stay in one piece.

Warren

You know I first heard of Scrapple from Bizarre foods and I've always wanted to try it since! Looks good Mr Bear!

The flavor is pretty much like Sage Breakfast Sausage but Crispy outside and Creamy inside from the Cornmeal. Like lots of Oddball Foods, folks develop a Mental Block. Get past thinking about the stuff you could not picture yourself eating and Scrapple is delicious...JJ

If ingredients like Liver, Tongue, Heart and Snout, weird you out. A skin on Picnic Shoulder, will produce sufficient Gelatin and Meat to make a CITY BOY Scrapple.
Search out a Recipe or Video on how it's done. And...Grind and add the Skin! After cooking the skin get super melt in your mouth tender. Skin has tons of flavor and disappears in the finished Scrapple...JJ

Looks good Bear. We get scrapple at the commissary from the frozen section. Just not as popular as it once was.

Thank You Sarge!!
The closest Commissary to me is 80 miles away.
Don't know how much we'd save on Groceries, but I'm sure not enough.

Bear

we are spoiled living here
scrapple, Taylor's ham...
well cept for the snow

Yup--Got another 3" last night & 3" the night before last.
Supposed to get 3" more tomorrow night.
I'm ready for Spring!

Bear

Nice! I love scrapple and I eat it A LOT!!

Hatfield brand is good and so is Habbersett (I prefer that one). Rapa is way too salty:

My family makes it every year, and I usually get a 10lb pan of it. Once I eat that, I buy the store bought stuff.

Guess I know what I’m having for breakfast tomorrow.

Like!

Reactions: chopsaw
Can't say I've ever eaten or seen scrapple before, and I'm not sure I would eat it knowingly.

Point for eating it.

Chris

Thank You Sarge!!
The closest Commissary to me is 80 miles away.
Don't know how much we'd save on Groceries, but I'm sure not enough.

Bear
I'm only 4 miles from ours (Fort Huachuca) and savings are pretty good. But if I had to drive 160 miles round trip I would not even bother. Savings would be lost on gas. DeCA has introduced their own store brand of food: Freedom's Choice. Those items do some in much less than national brands. I reckon they are competing with the likes of Kroger, Fry's, Safeway and the like with their store brands.

Right there with you Bear! Hatfield is definitely the best commercial Scrapple. Your plate looks great.
Speaking of Mom & Pop Butchers. The best ever Scrapple I had was from Wayne Nell and Sons. http://www.pameats.com
They processed pig's every Tuesday. After cutting, portioning and trimming, the Scraps, Offal, Bones, Skins, went in two huge 50 gallon Steam Kettles with aromatic Veggies, Herbs and Spices. The whole building smelled like Sunday Breakfast at Grandma's House. After about 3 Hours of cooking, the bones were picked clean and every thing but the Gelatinous Broth, was ground fine. They made two preparations. About half the meat went in double length loaf pans and had some Broth mixed in. This meat only loaf set firm and was called Puddin'. The rest of the meat and bulk of the Broth got a big helping of Corn Meal and was simmered until very thick then panned for Scrapple. The Puddin' was great fried or cold on a sandwich. The Scrapple got pan fried crisp. I like my Scrapple with Maple Syrup and Texas Pete Hot Sauce and a side of Over Easy Eggs...JJ
The flavor is pretty much like Sage Breakfast Sausage but Crispy outside and Creamy inside from the Cornmeal. Like lots of Oddball Foods, folks develop a Mental Block. Get past thinking about the stuff you could not picture yourself eating and Scrapple is delicious...JJ

Thank You Jimmy!!
LOL---The thought of different foods never bothered me. If it did, one of my favorite foods wouldn't be Broiled or Pan-Fried Shad Roe.

I used to help make a big batch with a bunch of my old Hunting buddies, but I never paid attention to what all went in the pot (due to all the liquid refreshments). All I did was take a couple plastic containers with me, and take my turn with the big stirring paddle. We had already donated our shares of Deer Scraps to add to the pot.

Bear

My Army buddy, a Lancaster, PA native, introduced me to scrapple on one of my visits. One time was enough for me. As Bob Dylan said, "It ain't my cup of meat."

I think a lot has to do with the Scrapple you first get introduced to.
I've had some from Butcher shops that if it would have been my first try, I may have never tried it again.
The one time I went to the Shop that makes the Best Ring Bologna I ever ate, and I got two pounds of Scrapple.
That Scrapple was terrible!! I didn't put anything in the pan with it, and it ended up floating in it's own oily Fat.
How can you make the best Ring Bologna & the worst Scrapple!?!?

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky