Scallops & BLT (Bonus—Blueberry French Toast)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Scallops & BLT (Bonus—Blueberry French Toast)

I usually only enjoy Scallops when Mrs Bear’s not home, but I figured if I combine them with our BLTs, I could get away with it.

So instead of Two BLTs, I matched up One BLT with nearly a Pound of Scallops, and the last couple slices of Fried Zucchini.

I made the Scallops the same way as I did last time, because it worked so good.
I put the Scallops in a Vacuum Seal Bag with a couple pads of Butter, and into my Sous Vide Supreme @ 140° for 1 hour.
The last time I only did them for 40 minutes (Like Douglas E. Baldwin recommends), but I think I liked 1 hour better.
Then I put the pack right into Ice Water & into the fridge to await BLT time.

So then later in the day, we decided to make our BLTs, and after I fried the Bacon, I added a little butter to the Bacon Fat, and Seared my Scallops in that to get a little skin on both sides. I didn’t get a very dark sear, I think because of having so much Bacon Fat & Butter in the Pan, but the Scallops were Perfect !!

The BLT wasn’t Bad either, and if you look close you can see that I snuck the last two Fried slices of “Zuke” in the middle of my plate, partially under the Scallops.

Then the next morning I had a couple slices of French Toast with Blueberries & Real Maple Syrup (Vermont), and I figured I should take a Picture for you guys too.

Thanks For Stopping by again,

Bear

Almost a pound @ $13.99 a pound (A lot better than the regular price!!):
IMG_2537.jpg

All look nice:
IMG_2538.jpg

Vac-Sealed with a couple pads of Butter:
IMG_2539.jpg

Clipped in my SV rack to keep them submerged:
IMG_2540.jpg

After 1 hour of 140°, right into Ice water & into fridge:
IMG_2541.jpg

Two slices of Light Toast, with some Miracle Whip & Lettuce:
IMG_2542.jpg

Added some 'Mater Slices & a bunch of Bacon:
IMG_2543.jpg

Bear's Supper:
A BLT, a Mess of lightly Seared Scallops, and a couple leftover slices of Fried Zucchini buried in the middle of the plate:
IMG_2545.jpg

Next Day's Breakfast---French Toast with Blueberries & Real Vermont Maple Syrup:
IMG_2546.jpg

That's All Folks!!

I love scallops, why? Because its seafood we don't get in the south. I had both scallops and lobster in the service and found out I wasn't quite as worldly as I thought....LOL

I don't know about sous vide, I always grill or fry. But that sure look good whatever you did. Mrs. Bear doesn't like 'em? I don't know if that is good or bad, you don't get 'em often, but you don't have to share either.....LOL

Great looking meal Bear.

Sure does look like a set of great meals! I might even be convinced to try a scallop again....:rolleyes:.... You cannot go wrong with Real Vermont Maple Syrup!

Bacon, bacon, bacon....:D

Looks good! I love scallops but refuse to pay the outrageous price they go for these days, so the only time I get them is when I find them while scuba diving. As for cooking I usually just sear them 2 min one side, 1-2 min on the other and done, usually in butter with a little garlic and minced anchovy (if I'm not cooking bacon) gives a super pop to them.

I got a package of scallops in my freezer I really oughta get around to cooking!

And Foamy? Live in the Midwest..it's even worse! I only fell in love with Scallops because of a now I believe defunct sadly company that would occasionally have a truck that drove around the state from Green Bay WI with frozen seafood and my dad would always stop on his way home from work at the time and get scallops and tuna steaks. Then we moved and when we tried to find them again years later, we couldn't! Heartbreak!

*Also let me start backpacking to Bear's house for the next wonderful Q-view meal.....*

I love scallops, why? Because its seafood we don't get in the south. I had both scallops and lobster in the service and found out I wasn't quite as worldly as I thought....LOL

I don't know about sous vide, I always grill or fry. But that sure look good whatever you did. Mrs. Bear doesn't like 'em? I don't know if that is good or bad, you don't get 'em often, but you don't have to share either.....LOL

Great looking meal Bear.

Thank You Foamy!!
I like the SV first, because after 40 minutes at 140° they are already safe, so All I gotta do after that is put a sear on them to add some flavor & Texture. No guessing when they're done.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Sure does look like a set of great meals! I might even be convinced to try a scallop again....:rolleyes:.... You cannot go wrong with Real Vermont Maple Syrup!

Bacon, bacon, bacon....:D

Thank You Kris!!
I have a Great Niece who married a guy from Vermont, and his Family makes it.
They live up there & she takes care of Uncle John when he needs some MS.

Bear

Looks Great, I too love scallops , BLT's, Squash and pretty much everything else.

A Supper fit for a BEAR

Gary

Nice score on the scallops, Bear. If I came across that kind of deal at $13.99/lb. I probably would have bought a couple extra bags for the freezer. Like!

It appears to me that the reason you didn't get the dark sear that you were looking for is that you were dealing with "wet packed" scallops rather than "dry packed". The label doesn't state state that but there's a couple indicators that cause me to think that's what was the cause. Wet packed scallops are treated with a solution for preservation and moisture retention that adds 20%-30% extra water to the weight. When you try to sear them, more than anything else, you basically end up steaming them when that additional water is expelled. As such, a good dark sear is nearly impossible.

There's nothing wrong with wet packed as long as you know what you're dealing with and what to expect. The taste is a little different than dry packed, but not in a bad sense. Also, the price per pound isn't quite what you expected since you're paying for that additional water.

BTW, when I do scallops sous vide I go for 30 minutes at 125F followed by a very hot sear for about 30-45 seconds.

Last edited:
Brother John looks good Scallops are pricey I just picked up a pound of large Scallops 15 in a pound. $13.00 we have them in the freezer.Now I want breakfast looking at the French Toast. LIKES
Richie

Looks good! I love scallops but refuse to pay the outrageous price they go for these days, so the only time I get them is when I find them while scuba diving. As for cooking I usually just sear them 2 min one side, 1-2 min on the other and done, usually in butter with a little garlic and minced anchovy (if I'm not cooking bacon) gives a super pop to them.

Thank You Rat!!
Bear

Great spread and awesome pictures too !!

Thank You Mike!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

I got a package of scallops in my freezer I really oughta get around to cooking!

And Foamy? Live in the Midwest..it's even worse! I only fell in love with Scallops because of a now I believe defunct sadly company that would occasionally have a truck that drove around the state from Green Bay WI with frozen seafood and my dad would always stop on his way home from work at the time and get scallops and tuna steaks. Then we moved and when we tried to find them again years later, we couldn't! Heartbreak!

*Also let me start backpacking to Bear's house for the next wonderful Q-view meal.....*

Thank You Tom!!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Awesome spread Bear! I'm a big fan of scallops. I believe I posted some of the ones I cooked here somewhere. I've never really worried about whether they are cooked though because when wrapped in bacon. If the bacon is done, so is the scallops. But, the more I see what the SV can do. The more I'm thinking of getting one.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky