Scallops & BLT (Bonus—Blueberry French Toast)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice score on the scallops, Bear. If I came across that kind of deal at $13.99/lb. I probably would have bought a couple extra bags for the freezer. Like!

It appears to me that the reason you didn't get the dark sear that you were looking for is that you were dealing with "wet packed" scallops rather than "dry packed". The label doesn't state state that but there's a couple indicators that cause me to think that's what was the cause. Wet packed scallops are treated with a solution for preservation and moisture retention that adds 20%-30% extra water to the weight. When you try to sear them, more than anything else, you basically end up steaming them when that additional water is expelled. As such, a good dark sear is nearly impossible.

There's nothing wrong with wet packed as long as you know what you're dealing with and what to expect. The taste is a little different than dry packed, but not in a bad sense. Also, the price per pound isn't quite what you expected since you're paying for that additional water.

BTW, when I do scallops sous vide I go for 30 minutes at 125F followed by a very hot sear for about 30-45 seconds.

Thank You dis1 !!
You're probably part right about the Scallop type, but I have a reason to blame at least part of the reason for the "Light" sear on the amount of Fat & Butter in the Pan.
Whenever I Fry something in my favorite "Copper Chef" Pans, I notice that the things in the middle of the pan get done quicker & sear harder, because the middles of the Copper Chef pans are humped up above the sides. Therefore the Fat or Butter in the pan goes more to the edges, leaving the center with just a coating, and the edges swimming in oil.
So since this time there was so much Bacon Fat & Butter in the Pan that ALL of the scallops were swimming, across the whole Pan, keeping all of the scallops from searing very dark, like the ones in the middle would have gotten, if there wasn't so much oil in the pan.
However the lack of a "Heavy Sear" only affected the appearance, because the flavor was Awesome.

As for the Time & Temp, Douglas E. Baldwin recommends 30 to 40 minutes at 140° for pasteurization in both his YouTube video & in the book of his I have, so due to my health I used the 140° for 40 minutes to get pasteurization the first time I SV'd Scallops. This time I decided to try the same Temp, but for 1 full hour. I preferred the texture of the 1 hour over the 40 minutes.

And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Nice.... you've got connections....:cool:...
Really, that's very sweet.... literally too...:p... syrup, sweet...lol...

Thank You Kris!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Brother John looks good Scallops are pricey I just picked up a pound of large Scallops 15 in a pound. $13.00 we have them in the freezer.Now I want breakfast looking at the French Toast. LIKES
Richie

Yeah, if it wasn't for the price, I'd have them a lot more often, even though Mrs Bear doesn't eat any Seafood or Fish!!
I even got some Bay Scallops one time---They didn't thrill me---It was like Frying & Eating Mini Marshmallows!!!
I usually have two Eggs in the morning & toast, but once in a while I go with some French Toast. I love Maple Syrup!!
And Thanks for the Like, My Brother.

Bear

Awesome spread Bear! I'm a big fan of scallops. I believe I posted some of the ones I cooked here somewhere. I've never really worried about whether they are cooked though because when wrapped in bacon. If the bacon is done, so is the scallops. But, the more I see what the SV can do. The more I'm thinking of getting one.

Thank You Steve!!
Yup---I love Scallops wrapped in Bacon, I just don't have the patience to do the wrapping.
Maybe next time!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky