sausage stuffer

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by dannylang, Sep 21, 2016.

1. looking to buy me a sausage stuffer, any suggestions. only have a small hand held jerky shooter style.any advice welcome

dannylang

2. idahobangbang

idahobangbang Newbie

I've been happy with my LEM brand 5# stuffer.... Well built, works fine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

3. I have a 7lb vivo and am very happy with it. Had a kitchener before but the gears didnt last. The vivo has metal gears

4. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

5. jckdanls 07

jckdanls 07 Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

I'm gonna suggest you don't get the ones that have the big elbow out the bottom of the stuffer but rather get the one with the tube out the side towards the bottom... reason being... that big elbow holds a lot of meat that won't get stuffed into the casing... my two cents...

6. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

DL, Not sure what kind of money you want to spend? Check out the sausage maker website they make a great stuffer.

7. thanks for the info, i have sausage maker catalog coming.how do you start and stop your sausage with a calogen case. do you tie a knot in it, or how do you do it?

dannylang

8. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Hard to twist collegen casings. I tie them. For what is worth, I love my Kitchener.

9. uzikaduzi

uzikaduzi Meat Mopper

i have a kitchener i got from northern tool for $60... people here seem to advise to look for the metal gear driven vertical stuffer. mine has nylon ones. they must certainly be less strong than metal ones, but i've had mine for 3-4 years... not a ton of sausages but maybe 70 pds a year? and i don't see any wear or cracks. if i saw one for the same price with metal I would have gotten that one but for $60 i couldn't pass it up and have no regrets.

10. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I've had a 5# LEM for several years, no problems yet!

I like the metal gears.

Al

11. shoebe

shoebe Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

I like my LEM #5, no problems and works great

12. browneyesvictim

browneyesvictim Smoking Fanatic ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Cabelas has their 5lb stuffer on sale right now for $109.99. It appears to be an exact (rebadge) of the LEM with metal gears. I'm about to pull the trigger! Shouldn't have to deal with LEM should there be a problem.

13. 100% agree

14. fullsmoke

fullsmoke Meat Mopper

I have a water stuffer it works very well

15. if you do have one of these. how do you get the meat out, without pulling it out?

dannylang

16. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

You pretty much have to pull the meat out of the elbow. I have not seen many resources to push the meat out from the bottom of the piston thru the elbow.

Save the hassle and get a LEM or horizontal. In the end its your call and i'm sure you will do well.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  17. nepas i am pretty well stuck with this stuffer, and yes it has a elbow on the bottom. should have done a little more research before i bought it. but i used it today to make summer sausage and it worked great.... even though it left some in the elbow. i fried it up. a little bit for me and the misses.

dannylang

18. jckdanls 07

jckdanls 07 Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

thought I suggested this before you purchased ??

19. i did not even pay that much attention to it, really i read what you said, but did not really understand until i bought one. live and learn

dannylang

20. I have a Kitchener #5      If you are going to be an occasional user pretty much any of them will be fine. Now if you are making sausage all the time I'd look at some of the more heavy duty ones.

Gary