• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

sausage stuffer

dannylang

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 19, 2014
looking to buy me a sausage stuffer, any suggestions. only have a small hand held jerky shooter style.any advice welcome

dannylang

idahobangbang

Fire Starter
Joined Aug 16, 2016
I've been happy with my LEM brand 5# stuffer.... Well built, works fine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

wild west

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 25, 2016
I have a 7lb vivo and am very happy with it. Had a kitchener before but the gears didnt last. The vivo has metal gears

JckDanls 07

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 10, 2011
I'm gonna suggest you don't get the ones that have the big elbow out the bottom of the stuffer but rather get the one with the tube out the side towards the bottom... reason being... that big elbow holds a lot of meat that won't get stuffed into the casing... my two cents...

crazymoon

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 24, 2014
DL, Not sure what kind of money you want to spend? Check out the sausage maker website they make a great stuffer.

dannylang

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 19, 2014
thanks for the info, i have sausage maker catalog coming.how do you start and stop your sausage with a calogen case. do you tie a knot in it, or how do you do it?

dannylang

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
Hard to twist collegen casings. I tie them. For what is worth, I love my Kitchener.

uzikaduzi

Meat Mopper
Joined Sep 9, 2016
i have a kitchener i got from northern tool for $60... people here seem to advise to look for the metal gear driven vertical stuffer. mine has nylon ones. they must certainly be less strong than metal ones, but i've had mine for 3-4 years... not a ton of sausages but maybe 70 pds a year? and i don't see any wear or cracks. if i saw one for the same price with metal I would have gotten that one but for $60 i couldn't pass it up and have no regrets.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I've had a 5# LEM for several years, no problems yet!

I like the metal gears.

Al

browneyesvictim

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Aug 16, 2016
Cabelas has their 5lb stuffer on sale right now for $109.99. It appears to be an exact (rebadge) of the LEM with metal gears. I'm about to pull the trigger! Shouldn't have to deal with LEM should there be a problem.

voodoochile

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 20, 2013
I'm gonna suggest you don't get the ones that have the big elbow out the bottom of the stuffer but rather get the one with the tube out the side towards the bottom... reason being... that big elbow holds a lot of meat that won't get stuffed into the casing... my two cents...
100% agree

dannylang

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 19, 2014

100% agree
if you do have one of these. how do you get the meat out, without pulling it out?

dannylang

SFLsmkr1

Legendary Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010

if you do have one of these. how do you get the meat out, without pulling it out?

dannylang
You pretty much have to pull the meat out of the elbow. I have not seen many resources to push the meat out from the bottom of the piston thru the elbow.

Save the hassle and get a LEM or horizontal. In the end its your call and i'm sure you will do well.

Last edited:

dannylang

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 19, 2014
nepas i am pretty well stuck with this stuffer, and yes it has a elbow on the bottom. should have done a little more research before i bought it. but i used it today to make summer sausage and it worked great.... even though it left some in the elbow. i fried it up. a little bit for me and the misses.

dannylang

JckDanls 07

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 10, 2011

thought I suggested this before you purchased ??

dannylang

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 19, 2014
i did not even pay that much attention to it, really i read what you said, but did not really understand until i bought one. live and learn

dannylang

gary s

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 6, 2011
I have a Kitchener #5      If you are going to be an occasional user pretty much any of them will be fine. Now if you are making sausage all the time I'd look at some of the more heavy duty ones.

Gary

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.