Sausage smoking safety?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ejk250678

Original poster
Jan 27, 2020
I would imagine this question has been asked many times before. Our old family sausage recipe is to use appropriate amounts of cure, smoking at around 200f for 2 to 3 hours, cooling quickly, refrigerating over night and then freezing. When it is to be used it is always treated as raw. Fully cooked most often by boiling for at least 20 minutes. Is this a safe practice?

generally you dont want to run over 170 for doing sausage to prevent "fat out". your recipe isnt unsafe so long as proper IT is reached , but maybe not optimal either, but ive not experienced your families sausage either :-)

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Your procedure is perfectly Safe. I don't smoke cured sausage at more than 170 either buthe you can't argue with Old Family Recipes! If you are getting a good result, stick with it and teach the kids in your family.
Both my Grandfather's made great Kielbasa but they never passed the recipes down...JJ

Thanks. Most of the info on the web is geared toward "ready to eat".

With any sausage the safest procedure is to freeze raw or freeze brought up to a bacteria killing safe temp. This would be 135 for 30 minutes, 140 for 10 minutes or 150°F for 60 seconds. Use of a Thermometer and Clock is the safest way to make sausage.

That said, it is very likely that with 38/40 mm sausage, 2 to 3 hours at 200°F is getting your sausage IT in this temp range and you have been, will be fine...BUT....A Thermometer is your best Guarantee!...JJ

Did a batch last night IT stalled out around 135 for well over an hour then finished above 150. Had to up smoker past 200 to get them to move. Was in smoker about 5 hrs total but I think I may have fatted them out. Haven't tried them yet.

They likely had plenty of smoke flavor at the stall. Finishing the cooking in a 165°F water bath, would keep them juicy and let them get to the desired IT in short order. Turning up the smoker temp is never a good idea smoking sausage...JJ

Sounds safe, the preparation temperature is high enough to avoid any issues. Must be delicious, too, enjoy your meaty treats.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky