Sausage feels "light" in weight?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rohfan2112

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
West Babylon, NY
When I pick up my freshly made (but yet uncooked) kielbasa it kind of feels a little "light" in weight. The only thing I can think of is that my grinder is injecting too much air into the meat being that the throat is so small. It only "sucks in" one chunk of meat at a time which surrounds it with lots of air. I'm using a crappy Silvercrest meat grinder that I got for $40 but it's quite small. I'm convinced that's the problem. I have at a minimum 25% fat in the sausage. Needless to say I have a new Chard #12 grinder on the way that I hope will improve the texture and weight of the final product. What does anyone think? Has anyone else had "weight" problems with their links?

Didn't weigh the links. They're in the pellet grill now to be brought up to 155 F. As I was putting them in the cold smoker yesterday I did notice one spot where some air was trapped. Will post pics when they're done.

When stuffing with a grinder especially a small throated one, it’s not uncommon to have an air void right through parts of the center of the links.

Buy yourself a small 5# stuffer. It will save your grinder by half plus the sausage will be much better.

Reactions: rohfan2112
If you only have a grinder for stuffing, you need what i used way back.

Reactions: rohfan2112
Thank you for all the comments!

Hog casings were used for my recipe. I used a Lem 5 lb sausage stuffer. After stuffing they went for a 9 hour cold smoke. Outside temp was around 38. Once that was done the smell of the smokiness was wonderful as any of my previous smoking attempts resulted in acrid, creosote-laden food. This time I made a DIY cold smoker and made sure there was plenty of air flow for cold smoking. I was very happy that I finally learned how to cold smoke!

The following morning they went into the pellet grill to be brought up to 155F and it wound up taking about 8 hours. That resulted in a chewy, overly-smoked texture/flavor. The inside of the sausage, however, tasted like real kielbasa. Real good kielbasa. We used hi-temp pepper jack cheese in the sausage this time but next time it will be without cheese. It really doesn't need it..

I've read about a technique involving putting the sausage into a pan filled with water and placed in the oven to come up to temp. That may alleviate the chewy outside. What does anyone suggest I do different?

Quality of the casing is everything. The older they are, the longer soaked in salt, the tougher they end up. Soaking the casings for a long time in salt water in the fridge helps this. Think weeks.

Quality of the casing is everything. The older they are, the longer soaked in salt, the tougher they end up. Soaking the casings for a long time in salt water in the fridge helps this. Think weeks.

I don't know how to judge quality casings. I bought the casings on Amazon from a company called Oversea Casing Company.

If casings are tough because they spend a long time packed in salt then why would I want to soak them in more salt? I don't understand the thinking there. I have to plead ignorance. I pretty much just started in this hobby and I'm slowly getting hooked.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky