SAUSAGE BRISKET MEATLOAF

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
We make this all the time, but this time I changed a couple of things in the recipe & really like this one.
Here is the new recipe, now remember it's just Judy & I so this is a small meatloaf. But you big eaters can certainly scale it up.

My favorite meatloaf​

1 lb ground brisket

1 lb ground Hot Italian sausage

1 cup crushed Ritz crackers

3 large or extra large eggs

1 pablano pepper chopped

1 whole med to large onion chopped

1 ½ TBS granulated garlic

1 tsp Sea salt

1 ½ tsp smoked paprika

2 tsp worsty sauce

2 tsp Tabasco sauce or hot sauce of your choice

½ cup ketchup or BBQ sauce

1 can French onion soup.

Combine all the ingredients, except the ketchup & onion soup.

Form a log & wrap in saran wrap like a fattie, overnight.

I like to go 24 hours.

Unwrap meatloaf & put it in a pan with a grate in the bottom.

Pour Onion soup over the top of the meat loaf

Put in smoker at 250 until it gets to an IT of 145.

Then put Ketchup or BBQ sauce on top & let it go to an IT of 160. Then rest it while you make the gravy

Take the drippings in the pan & de-fat them & make your favorite gravy with them. We like ours with garlic mashed potatoes. This is a perfect size loaf for just Judy & I, but you can double or triple it if you have a big family.

The only problem we encountered was there was too much grease in the pan to make any gravy, but it was still delicious.

Here's some photo's:
I used a combo of hickory & mesquite, pretty small splits, cause thee weather is so hot it doesn't take much of a fire to hold 250 degrees.

1.jpg

I mixed the meatloaf the morning before & wrapped it tight in saran wrap, so it would hold it's shape & give the flavors a chance to meld together.

2.jpg

Next morning into a pan with a grate in the bottom.

3.jpg

Then I poured the French onion soup over the top.

4.jpg

And into the smoker at 250.

5.jpg

It took about 3 hours to get to 145, that's when I brushed some ketchup on top. You could definitely use BBQ sauce at this point, but I just love Ketchup on my meatloaf.

6.jpg

7.jpg

Took about 1 more hour to get to 160. and had a nice color on it.

8.jpg

Covered it with foil to rest for about 1 hour, then onto a plate, with a bit more ketchup.

9.jpg

Skiced it in half to see what we had.

10.jpg

There is a bit of a smoke ring, but not as much as I was expecting. Sliced it up with some garlic mashed potato's. Sure wish the gravy thing had worked out. But the flavor of the combo of brisket & Hot Italian sausage is hard to beat! A little more ketchup helped too!

11.jpg

This will definitely be my go to meatloaf recipe from now on, I really don't know what I would change, & already got orders from the boss, not to change a thing.
Thanks for looking guys!!
Al

Very nice, Al! Doing a grocery run tomorrow. All I need to add to my list is pablanos and french onion soup. I have plenty of hot Italian stuffed. I may use ground round instead of brisket since I just did a packer a couple of weeks ago and hate to use up freezer space for a month. We'll see....
It's just the two of us as well and I've been trying to think of something to smoke since we have a lot of PP and brisket vac sealed. You just made my day :-)
Like!
Dan

Reactions: SmokinAl
Copy-Paste-Save for when I get some Sausage.
I think this has to be much better than just Ground Beef.
Looks Great, Al !
Thanks for the Recipe!!
I'll let you know when I get around to this one!!
Like.

Bear

That meatloaf looks really good.
Love the tray in the pan Idea.
I am going to use that. I stained my Pyrex loaf pan smoking a meatloaf a few weeks ago... What was I thinking?
Thanks

That looks real good Al! I like everything in your mix. Especially the pablano pepper...much better flavor than a standard green bell. I'll have to try the French onion soup on our next one!

Great looking meatloaf Al!! I’ll have to try this one with the french onion soup and all.

One thing I’ve been doing is subbing green bell pepper with a poblano wherever one is called for. Much more flavor without changing a recipe.

Like!

Nice looking meatloaf Al! Had to have a ton of flavor. Too bad the gravy didn't turn out. Last meatloaf I did was gonna make a hot beef sandwich with the leftovers, but ran out of meatloaf before we made mashed taters and gravy.

Ryan

Beautiful job

Thank you so much!
Al

Looks great Al! Really like the brisket sausage combo. Never thought about the French onion soup either but will give it a shot. Thanks for sharing.

Thank-you!
Yes the brisket/sausage combo really takes it to another level & the French onion soup just adds another dimension to it.
Al

Looks great Al!

Thanks Jim!
Al

Very nice, Al! Doing a grocery run tomorrow. All I need to add to my list is pablanos and french onion soup. I have plenty of hot Italian stuffed. I may use ground round instead of brisket since I just did a packer a couple of weeks ago and hate to use up freezer space for a month. We'll see....
It's just the two of us as well and I've been trying to think of something to smoke since we have a lot of PP and brisket vac sealed. You just made my day :-)
Like!
Dan

Thanks Dan, it sounds like a plan to me. I think you will really like the combo!
Al

Looks great Al was the brisket already smoked or was it fresh?

Thanks, it was fresh brisket. We usually buy a full packer a couple of times a year & grind it up & freeze it in 1 lb. bags. Then every recipe that calls for ground beef we use the brisket. We like the flavor better.
Al
Great lookin meatloaf Al . That's a good mix for sure . Nice work .

Thanks Chop!
Give it a try sometime, I think you may like it!
Al
Copy-Paste-Save for when I get some Sausage.
I think this has to be much better than just Ground Beef.
Looks Great, Al !
Thanks for the Recipe!!
I'll let you know when I get around to this one!!
Like.

Bear

Thanks John, like I said above it really takes meatloaf to the next level!
Al

That's a good looking meatloaf!

Thank you my friend!!
Al
That meatloaf looks really good.
Love the tray in the pan Idea.
I am going to use that. I stained my Pyrex loaf pan smoking a meatloaf a few weeks ago... What was I thinking?
Thanks

Thanks!
I used to do the same thing, then I started using throwaway pans & a grate!
Al

That looks real good Al! I like everything in your mix. Especially the pablano pepper...much better flavor than a standard green bell. I'll have to try the French onion soup on our next one!

Thanks, the poblano gives it a good flavor without too much heat, and the French onion soup just adds to it.
Al

Great looking meatloaf Al!! I’ll have to try this one with the french onion soup and all.

One thing I’ve been doing is subbing green bell pepper with a poblano wherever one is called for. Much more flavor without changing a recipe.

Like!

Thanks Buddy!
We have been doing the same thing, adds just a little more flavor & heat, but not too much.
Al
Al that looks great. I love the ritz crackers in it.

Thanks Brian, I used the Ritz crackers a few months ago, cause we ran out of bread crumbs, and never went back!
A lot cheaper too!
Al

Looks delicious Al. Gonna give this a try soon!

Thanks Jake, I think you will really like it!
Al

Awesome looking meatloaf Al...
Nice work....

Joe

Thanks Joe!
I appreciate it!
Al

Wow Al. Now that one mighty fine looking meatloaf!

Thanks Brian!
I appreciate it!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky