Sauerkraut

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I can almost smell it from here!

I see an interesting post of 4 coming soon!

Thanks CB!

I may still make the grand finale cook from my other thread, but probably not until tomorrow.

I really like sautéing apples, onions, kraut and serving with pork cups or brats. So tasty!

I should mention that the three jars on the bottom are blue. Hence the green colored kraut! Yellow and blue makes green!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow!  Your Kraut looks good!!   I like to use the blue jars but I'm out of the older ones.  I think the colored jars help keep out the light so the kraut stays looking white longer.    I saw how you use a little apple slices with the Kraut - Now that I saw you doing it, I remember my mom adding a few slices of apple when she made fried Kraut and Mushrooms. I need to try that next time...

I just made 36 quarts of kraut a few weeks ago; I used three 5 gal food grade pails with air locks on top of each pail, I had something like 40 of cabbage in each pail.  I mix in some thin sliced onion with each layer.  This year the Kraut turned out better than ever...  No real waste with the air lock in the pails..

Points for your kraut and them Brats... ;-)  

I've been married to a German for 33 years and we've never made kraut.  But thats going to change.  I wonder if Texas is too warm to keep the stuff in the garage.   Guess that would depend on the time of year right? I know nothing about crocks, salt ratio, tamping, weighing down or even filling a mote.  BUT  This has inspired me.  

Point for the step by step

Point for the finished product. 

B

I've been married to a German for 33 years and we've never made kraut.  But thats going to change.  I wonder if Texas is too warm to keep the stuff in the garage.   Guess that would depend on the time of year right? I know nothing about crocks, salt ratio, tamping, weighing down or even filling a mote.  BUT  This has inspired me.  

Point for the step by step

Point for the finished product. 

B
Thanks B! I bought this crock off Amazon.

After I got it i discovered that TSM = The Sausage Maker. Go figure!

If you can get an area that is right around 60° you'd be fine. Just worked out that my house temps cooled down to there right after the initial fermentation. So I just left it on the counter. We don't heat the house until it gets below 50° inside.

Its probably one of the easiest things to make, and Mr T's recipe makes some fine kraut. I used to use a recipe that used more salt and I didn't like it as much. This is spot on. Next time I want to add some caraway seeds too.

Reactions: bdskelly
WOW!! Dirtsailor2003, that Kraut and sausage looks so good and I'm so envious

Since the discussion was on making Sauerkraut I thought some of you might be interested in seeing a recipe 1911.  The following pictures are from the Miller Company publication for retail butchers in that era. I think the book is a hoot and a lot of good info.

I may have invest in a crock too!!

DWD    Richardson, TX

WOW!! Dirtsailor2003, that Kraut and sausage looks so good and I'm so envious

Since the discussion was on making Sauerkraut I thought some of you might be interested in seeing a recipe 1911.  The following pictures are from the Miller Company publication for retail butchers in that era. I think the book is a hoot and a lot of good info.

[ATTACHMENT=3024]1911Editioncover.jpg (202k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT].
[ATTACHMENT=3025]SauerKrautOld-Style1.jpg (248k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]
[ATTACHMENT=3026]SauerKrautOld-Style2.jpg (113k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

I may have invest in a crock too!!

DWD    Richardson, TX

Thanks!

Kraut is easy to make. The process I use as Outlined by Mr T had become my go to.

Love those old cook books. I have this great one that my father in law gave me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky