Sauerkraut Storage - freeze or can?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hoity toit

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
My first batch of kraut is ready and I need advice for storage. I read in another thread somewhere that can put it in vac bags in the freezer door w the top open , then after it freezes vacuum seal it. As this is my first run making kraut, what do y'all think ?  I have the means to process in jars but not the time today to do that.

I have made the fermented kraut...  after about 8 weeks +/- I packed it in sterilized quart jars...   they are taking up room in my beer fridge.. been there for over a year and are still good....   I think the sterilizing plays a very important part in keep the stray bad stuff at bay.....  

The jars just have normal band and lid screw on lids...  sterile also on the initial sealing...

I had no idea if that is the right way when I did it...  I think the kraut is acidic enough because it sure is sour...  a great tasting kraut.....

I have made the fermented kraut...  after about 8 weeks +/- I packed it in sterilized quart jars...   they are taking up room in my beer fridge.. been there for over a year and are still good....   I think the sterilizing plays a very important part in keep the stray bad stuff at bay.....  

The jars just have normal band and lid screw on lids...  sterile also on the initial sealing...

I had no idea if that is the right way when I did it...  I think the kraut is acidic enough because it sure is sour...  a great tasting kraut.....
Dave did you post a step by step or anything on the process TIA

These aren't very good instructionals...   I read online and at wild yeast and got a book fermenting for dummies...  Then, of course, I modified stuff where I thought necessary....   I think those mods are pointed out in the threads....  

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/132186/fermenting-kraut

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/133850/fermenting-kraut-part-2-follow-up-7-30-14
Thank You I will be checking them have them book marked, I love pickled red cabbage

You guys are the best ! Thanks for the good info on my question. I appreciate it.
42.gif

Dexter

I just cracked a 2 year old jar of processed kraut on Sunday.

It was still crisp, and I'm typing this.
I need to shred by Sunday. Corned Beef is going to go be on sale for 1/2 price on the 18th, and there's no reason to let the mass produced swill go to waste, when it can meet a nice rub and some smoke.

Lazy Pastrami is a March tradition in my house, and you can't have a good Ruben without good kraut.

Last edited:
If you have room in your refrigerator, just jar it and move it in. That is the preferred option when it comes to quality and flavor. I don't have that luxury, so I water bath it for shelf stabilization. It's still better than any commercial product. I'm still eating kraut from 2015.

Like DaveO, I've made homemade sauerkraut the lactic acid fermentation way. As long as it's done in an oxygen free environment (glass weights to hold the sliced cabbage down and in a fermentation crock), the lactic acid prevents bad bacteria and bugs from growing and provides an excellent method of storage in a cold (refrigerator) environment. But, the storage jars must be sterile, otherwise the product can be compromised. Will keep in the fridge for months-but the taste is far and above the commercial stuff sold in markets-so the kraut never lasts more than several months. FYI, this fermentation kraut has been made for centuries and the side benefit is the kraut and fermented liquid is a probiotic.  Again, when you pack the jars, make sure there is enough fermented lactic acid liquid to keep the kraut submerged.

In Germany people leave it in crocks the size of 10 gallon buckets for months.. They skim off mold to get at a dinners worth scooped into a strainer.. lol I think my girlfriends mom in Germany had cheesecloth over theirs and you couldn't really smell the vinegar unless you were next to the crock.. it was 30 years ago I lived there.

My folks have been making kraut in recent years.

Last edited:
In Germany people leave it in crocks the size of 10 gallon buckets for months.. They skim off mold to get at a dinners worth scooped into a strainer.. lol

My folks have been making kraut in recent years.
I had a Polish immigrant neighbor who used to make large batches of sauerkraut in his basement. He had a garden in his backyard and grew lots of vegetables. If you went into his house, the smell of fermented cabbage was everywhere. He also had an old fashioned wood cooking stove.

Lots of vegetables can be fermented and preserved, including mushrooms. I have a great book on the subject and plan to work on other fermentation/preservation items as time permits.

Yes, the fact that mold appears on the surface does not mean the fermented food is bad. Just skim off the mold and get the stuff submerged in the lactic acid liquid.

Yep.. that's what they did.. her mom shows me the mold to try and make me freak out after we ate some.. lol the crock they had just looked ornamental but it was used for real. It had a big lid too I think I remember..

Red cabbage is my favorite. With the sweet and sour flavor.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky