Sauerbraten

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
bill ace 350 bill ace 350 . Any pointers on semmel knoedel? Never made it. Hoping i can use bread crumbs from the store. I have sauerbraten on deck. Less traditional approach and SV'd an EOR... I am ECSTATIC with my gravy. Best I ever did and tried this like 4-5x before and never was this happy. Normally I get fixated on the marinade for the beef.
When I get home I will post recipe.

They are easy and delicious!

Reactions: zwiller
Wow Bill , sorry I missed this as we were away. Glad it popped back up.
I just did a German Meal post other day. Fun to do

Your sauerbraten looks great and the dumplings ( Semmelknoedel ) look great also. I will have to try this
as on a bit of a kick reading lots of German recipes

David

Reactions: bill ace 350
A German gal taught my mom how to make it and hers doesn't have ginger snaps. Could be a regional thing... Maybe it's an Americanized thing?
Nope, not American. Yep, a regional thing. It's a Southern Germany/Bavarian thing. There are BIG regional differences in Germany but there is plenty of crossover too. Last I looked they say there are like 400 different brats over there. Pretty interesting stuff to me. I have this particular cookbook and it is broken down into regions. https://www.amazon.com/Spoonfuls-Germany-Regional-Cuisine-Expanded/dp/0781813085

THANKS. They DO look like they might be easy, that's pretty rare for a german recipe! Take Sauerbraten: Step 1: marinate meat in $50 worth of odd ingredients for one week LOL
Here you go-

8 Kaiser Rolls( Stale. I have used stale rye, pumpernickle, italian..... Breadcrumbs, croutons should work fine.

2 1/4 cups milk
1 TBS butter
3 beef bouillon cubes
2 eggs
1/4 TSP salt
1/4 TSP pepper
1/4 TSP nutmeg
2 TBS chopped parsley
1 TSP baking powder

Crush stale bread into a bowl.

Warm milk, butter and bullion cubes.

Add to bread in bowl.

Let sit for an hour or until easily kneadable.

Add the rest of the ingredients to bowl and knead until a smooth dough is formed.

Shape into balls between pool ball and golf ball in size.

Drop into boiling salt water .

Simmer about 15 - 20 minutes, drain and eat.

This is a basic recipe, excellent as is, but experinent with different spices.

Full disclosure: I keep some German products on hand for if I'm in a time crunch.

The bread crumbs are in a net bag. Toss is water, cook according to directions.

The ones in the picture are from the German mix.

Here is the package I like.

Screenshot_20230314-174023_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: zwiller
Wow Bill , sorry I missed this as we were away. Glad it popped back up.
I just did a German Meal post other day. Fun to do

Your sauerbraten looks great and the dumplings ( Semmelknoedel ) look great also. I will have to try this
as on a bit of a kick reading lots of German recipes

David
Thanks!

Thanks bill ace 350 bill ace 350 I grab those little packs of german stuff all the time. Maggi is the brand carried around these parts. This is wild... That recipe looks right out of my grandma's stash using "butter and beef boullion" and no onion (when all recipes I see call for it). You unknowingly bring up something my family debates about. I think her recipes were bastardized by the great depression. My parents say "that's how they do it Germany". The debate rages on... All that being said, I can defnintely vouch that it is a legit german family recipe.

Reactions: bill ace 350
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky