Decisions Decisions What to Make

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I have a chuck roast out. Trying to decided between Mississippi Pot Roast or marinade for Sauerbraten? Also forgot I bought a half Salmon Wed. Better figure out what to do with that this morning! My mind still cloudy. Come on and kick in coffee.

Last edited:
Hey Brian, my vote is Mississippi Pot Roast for the chuck roast today and put the salmon in a dry brine for some smoked salmon tomorrow!
I have the salmon dry brining. First time doing this. Going to grill or smoke it tonight. I need to remember to get a cedar plank to cut up. I know I have one last piece but cant find it. Still undecided about chuck. I been wanting to do both. Just got some strawberry jam made. I have a letter coming today that has to be signed so got to stay home today. Mail usually after 5 but one never knows.

I used to get it at a German restaurant here . Good stuff . Never made it though . I guess it's time I did .

Since some don't know what sauerbraten is its the winner.. See you in about a week.

I must admit I had no idea what sauerbraten was, so looked it up! That looks like a winner to me! Be looking forward to your thread! Now I want to make some…

I have the salmon dry brining. First time doing this. Going to grill or smoke it tonight. I need to remember to get a cedar plank to cut up. I know I have one last piece but cant find it. Still undecided about chuck. I been wanting to do both. Just got some strawberry jam made. I have a letter coming today that has to be signed so got to stay home today. Mail usually after 5 but one never knows.

Brian, just thought I’d mention where it’s your first on the salmon… don’t forget to let the pellicle form! There is a great vid on Utube from Chef Jason Hill if you might need a reference! I usually don’t promo that site here, but his vid is great!

I prefer rump. Or bottom round for sauerbraten. Make Mississippi. Or regular pot roast with the chuck. No help on the salmon. Not a big fan of it.

Reactions: chopsaw
I prefer rump. Or bottom round for sauerbraten. Make Mississippi. Or regular pot roast with the chuck. No help on the salmon. Not a big fan of it.
To late. I prefer the chuck for this. Always comes out so tender with that good sauerbraten flavor. Seems like I marinaded to long last time. I shooting for 4 days this time and that ginger snap gravy so good. Plan is to smoke for couple couple hours before going in the pot. Now to figure out sides. Purple cabbage for sure.

Reactions: Steve H
Brian, just thought I’d mention where it’s your first on the salmon… don’t forget to let the pellicle form! There is a great vid on Utube from Chef Jason Hill if you might need a reference! I usually don’t promo that site here, but his vid is great!
This the first time tried dry brine instead of wet. This will be my go to now. I let sit over night in fridge and took a bit. Wow is that good. Some crackers and cream cheese later. Working on my Crawfish Cornbread now to take to river.

IMG_20230304_170740202.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky