Sauce Recipe Safe For Canning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MarTex

Original poster
Jan 30, 2021
Can someone suggest a recipe for a KC-style sauce that is safe for canning? There’s a chain of BBQ restaurants in Texas named Bodacious Bar-B-Q (headquartered in Longview, TX) that has just the sauce I’m looking for. Mild, not too tangy, not too sweet, definitely not too spicy. The emphasis here is the term “Safe For Canning” because I want to bottle the finished product and give it to friends as Christmas gifts.

So you want to make your own sauce, not re-package their sauce? The canning should not be an issue. I make pizza sauce and process it for 35 minutes as 13 psi. So, you need a good recipe??
PwoOmba.jpg

Do you make this sauce? What’s in it?
I would like to make and bottle a sauce similar to my favorite at Bodacious Bar-B-Q .... here's the ingredients on their label.

Attachments

• IMG_7346.jpg
    IMG_7346.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 25
Here is a link explaining the canning process along with their starter recipe. I think we can come up with a better recipe to test. I'll dig through my library.

EDIT: Take a spin through this database. There is a Paul Kirk KC sauce that looks pretty good.

Last edited:
So you want to make your own sauce, not re-package their sauce? The canning should not be an issue. I make pizza sauce and process it for 35 minutes as 13 psi. So, you need a good recipe??
View attachment 482491
I am pretty experienced at canning jams, fruits, & veggies using the hot water bath method and that's how I plan to process the BBQ sauce. But yes, a good recipe would be nice!

You're either running a little late or a lot early? :emoji_laughing:

Welcome! You're at the right place for help :)
You are right about running a lot early but, what better way to spend my Covid precautionary lock-down time:emoji_wink:. I appreciate everyone's willingness to help.

Reactions: texomakid
I am pretty experienced at canning jams, fruits, & veggies using the hot water bath method and that's how I plan to process the BBQ sauce. But yes, a good recipe would be nice!
I think we crossed paths while I was editing my post above. I linked a sauce database for you to check out. ↑↑↑

Here is a link explaining the canning process along with their starter recipe. I think we can come up with a better recipe to test. I'll dig through my library.

EDIT: Take a spin through this database. There is a Paul Kirk KC sauce that looks pretty good.
Wow! I'd better start reading. Thanks so much!

Wow! I'd better start reading. Thanks so much!

If you really want to get serious, this is the book for you. It's 20 or 25 years old but barbecue flavors have been around for generations. The title is misleading, because sauces are not discussed until page 157. This book teaches you how to how to build a rub, sauce, marinade etc., (even three ketchup recipes) but more importantly it explains what seasonings do, both basic seasonings and 'signature' seasonings that make a recipe yours. The recipes are not all Kirk's.... some are from his students, or relative, friends, or folks in the barbecue community. It's actually really good reading. My copy is all dog-eared, and has sticky notes throughout and now I use it to research a special 'wow' flavor to add to a storebought seasoning or for a new flavor footprint.
R60qsCY.jpg
uFKoyAu.jpg

If you really want to get serious, this is the book for you. It's 20 or 25 years old but barbecue flavors have been around for generations. The title is misleading, because sauces are not discussed until page 157. This book teaches you how to how to build a rub, sauce, marinade etc., (even three ketchup recipes) but more importantly it explains what seasonings do, both basic seasonings and 'signature' seasonings that make a recipe yours. The recipes are not all Kirk's.... some are from his students, or relative, friends, or folks in the barbecue community. It's actually really good reading. My copy is all dog-eared, and has sticky notes throughout and now I use it to research a special 'wow' flavor to add to a storebought seasoning or for a new flavor footprint.
View attachment 482576
View attachment 482577
Thanks so much for this suggestion. I just ordered the used paperback book and it should be here in 2 wks or less. Ironically, several nights ago I had run across an online article in Food & Wine Magazine focusing on Paul Kirk's recipe for Kansas City-Style Barbecue Sauce. I thoroughly enjoyed the article/recipe and I've already started experimenting with it. Now, thanks to your suggestion, I'll soon have a whole lot of his recipes to study.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky