Saturday butt with a little experiment

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pit 4 brains

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 16, 2009
Summerville, SC
Well here comes another weekend.. what to do?
icon_rolleyes.gif

I got a shouler butt for $.99 /lb. I actually got two but the other will be next Monday's buckboard.. Stay tuned for that.
This is the first butt I've ever gotten from John Morrell that had skin on it. I got on the chat and asked if anyone had ever done anything with the skin and I was given a link to some cracklin instructin.. Can't see what it would hurt to try it out so here goes.. The fat sure will help out the dutch oven if the cracklin is... well, you know,.. I'm not from the south so I may make good cracklin and not even know it!

Removing the skin but being sure to retain some rub-lovin' fat..

Skin removed..

But is rubbed... My camera makes it look yellowish for some reason

Craklin pieces ready for tomorrow...

Looks like you're off to a good start Pit. I'll be looking forward to the finished Q-view especially the craklins. I've never done them either.
And I like your choice in beer :)

I've got one of those in the smoker right now....
Looks like you are off to a great start.

Everything looks good so far so I'll have to stop back the other Qview and theses crackilns I guess. It will be a first for me too.

After about 4 1/2 hours, I put it in the pan, stabbed the probe and covered.. Temp was 149 and still is so i must have caught it in the stall..
Sure does smell good!

looks good so far......damn you got up early. i didn't start my fire until 8:30!

I was outside at 0445 in a sweatshirt with no shirt, underwear and sneakers with no socks. As soon as the drum hit 220, I tossed the butt on and went straight back to bed. Four hours of sleep later the drum was at 260 and the butt was doin good. Nice to be able to sleep while cookin...

You sure said it, imagine a guy wearing nothing more than a sweatshirt and sneakers tending the smoker...be sure to keep your hips away from the heat
PDT_Armataz_01_08.gif

i dont need that visual in my mind of you stuffing the pit with only a sweatshirt and sneakers, i may not be able to sleep tonight!!!

I was really looking forward to a more detailed Qview, but then after reading a little farther I lost my appetite...
PDT_Armataz_01_07.gif

Just as long as you edit your photo's I would love to see the end results.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Sorry for the delay but the guests arrived right after I took the meat out of the drum.
9 1/2 hours and it hit 205. It was a 9 1/2 lb or so but so about an hour per pound or so was the good rule here. Here it is after I took it off...

Drained out the fat and pulled...

Here's my homemade BBQ Sauce:
1C Apple sauce
1/2 C Ketchup
2 C Turbinado sugar (sauce was a bit sweet so may drop this down 1C)
Juice of two lemons w/ whatever pulp fell in..
A three-fingered pinch of the following: GBP, Paprika, Garlic Powder, Kosher salt and cinnannannamon..
Combine all ingredients and bring to just a boil then remove from heat. I stirred constantly due to the sugar..

I vow to never post q-view of my early morning fire starts or my all-nighters..If i am to be in the pics..
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

Ohh by the way, I fried up the skin and fat in som bacon grease in a dutch oven on my turkey fryer base. They looked good but were fairly rubbery and gross. I may try the other suggestion i had and just hang the skin in a tree and dry it out for the dog. Heck maybe next time I'll trim it off a little leaner and smoke it a bit for the dog... The bacon grease and the skin made a hell of a mess outside and was not worth the effort. Definately DO NOT TRY TO MAKE CRACKLINS IN YOUR KITCHEN.. unless you want to do a remodel job!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky