Salt-less jerky??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WILL1E

Original poster
Sep 4, 2018
Appleton, WI
Hey fellow smokers!

So i'm picking up my first pellet smoker tonight (Camp Chef ZG) and i'm thinking about trying jerky as my first cook after the burn-in. I never done jerky on my Weber smokey mountain so i'm not sure what i'm getting into.

Anyway, the important part. Is it possible to do jerky without a salt brine? My wife has menieres disease and she's extremely sensitive to salt because of that. So is it possible to still do jerky without the salt and still have it stay preserved?
If not, whats the most salt minimal way of still making good jerky?

Thanks
Matt

Search/Google Salt Free Jerky Recipes. A quick review showed several that were minimal salt but at a glance I didn't notice any 100% salt free...JJ

It is always a challenge to take away a main ingredient and still get a good result. I feel really bad for folks with allergies...JJ

I'd be wary of any thing that is lauded as true jerky that has no salt. <Salt being the way it's kept safe>.

You'd need to do some fancy footwork to find a brine that doesn't use some thing salty in it, but I'd hazard a guess if you let it marinade over night, then dehydrated, it would keep for a week in the fridge? I'm no expert though. I'd actually ask the guy over on Jerkyholic, it sounds like he'd find this a fun challenge.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky