Salt curing hams (prosciutto )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cycletrash

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Aug 25, 2009
Ohio
This is my first time doing this , but we bought 4 hind legs. We cut out the h bone , massaged the blood out them , salted them . will update as we go along.....
32f5c6ff_001.jpg

02eaa6d5_002.jpg

Last edited:
No , just salting....I know this going to get everyone worked up....LOL

Hope ya got insurance if ya feeding them to anyone besides family  and then if it was my family i wouldn't trust that

We are re salting them daily and flipping them for 5 days, then we plan on hanging them til Holidays, (thanksgiving and Christmas )

No Dave I believe My Neighbor and Sam are eyeing yours up !! And My Mother thinks you and I are going over the deep end....just wait til we feed her she will convert!!

icon_cool.gif

I'm shakey on this one too Bob. But I'll see how things turn out and I would let you eat it first and then maybe I'll eat some.

VERY interested to see how these turn out, I know y'all did a lot of research on your processes; we all just might learn something here!  Good luck on your endeavor, look forward to a successful outcome!

Just a hint you might want to try, since your vessel is not deep enough to cover the face end and the leg joint end you might want to use plastic wrap to keep a full face of salt on the two ends.

I do a lot of these salt only cures to make Jamon.  Are you planning on the outdoor 12 month aging?  Or are you going straight country salt cured ham?

If you get it through without bone sour they are amazing.  I have two now that are three years old and all outdoor tree hanging cured. (stainless steel cage to keep birds and bears out and very high in the trees at 8700 feet ASL.

Good luck, the advanced techniques require patients, but produce an excellent product.

Just a hint you might want to try, since your vessel is not deep enough to cover the face end and the leg joint end you might want to use plastic wrap to keep a full face of salt on the two ends.

I do a lot of these salt only cures to make Jamon.  Are you planning on the outdoor 12 month aging?  Or are you going straight country salt cured ham?

If you get it through without bone sour they are amazing.  I have two now that are three years old and all outdoor tree hanging cured. (stainless steel cage to keep birds and bears out and very high in the trees at 8700 feet ASL.

Good luck, the advanced techniques require patients, but produce an excellent product.
Excellent advice....as usual.
biggrin.gif

It's hard to age one 12 months... I'm always too impatient. lol

One way to check for bone sour is to run a piece of wire down into the meat, then pull it out and check the smell. You should be able to tell if the meat is souring. 

Good luck with it Cycletrash. :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky