Salt curing hams (prosciutto )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
@ kak757....Thank you and

Yes Dave54 and I were talking about that ! I think it would fun !!

Dave54 and I are doing this again ! You cannot believe how good this prosciutto turned out...its the bomb !!! We went to the meat market and ordered 12 more skin on fresh hams to do for next year !!! We are more than doubling our production !!!!

It looks fabulous!!

Thanks for taking us along for the ride!!

Great work!!!

Gobble Gobble!!!

Craig

What are the temperature variances and humidity levels where you are hanging them cycletrash? Just curious.
smile.gif

Last edited:
When we started them the temps were between 40 to 55 degrees ... but i kept the humidity below 65....that is very important !! by summer it stayed about 70 degrees in that room but they were pretty much cured by may....pressing and salting for the first 25 to 30 days and keeping them from freezing but cool...for the first few months then keep track of the humidity was my major concern

Reactions: solaryellow
I can try !! I am outside of Steubenville , Ohio.

If you have questions ask...no secret how its done

When we started them the temps were between 40 to 55 degrees ... but i kept the humidity below 65....that is very important !! by summer it stayed about 70 degrees in that room but they were pretty much cured by may....pressing and salting for the first 25 to 30 days and keeping them from freezing but cool...for the first few months then keep track of the humidity was my major concern

Thanks for the info!

For JAK757 and everyone else interested this basicly this is what we did !! We used more salt and massage them more. We gave them allot of loving care !! Here is a very good video links !

These are 4 videos worth watching !!

WOW!!!! This is absolutely intriguing!!!! Masterful work at it's finest.! How did I ever miss the start of this one? Cycletrash, PLEEEZE keep us abreast of how this years run is going. Are you guys using Berkshire hams as well? We have several purebred Berkshire breeders here in Iowa. Many other breeders produce a Berkshire-Duroc cross. Both very high end quality pork producers, catering to "nitche", but growing markets. As a matter of fact, my father-in-law, was once into the purebred Berkshire market decades ago. He eventually had to give it up, simply because the market wasn't large enough at that time for him to sustain his operation. The push was on for fast-feed-to-market-operations, and to breed leaner and leaner pork products, which eventually led to "Pork-The other white meat". Sorry to say, but that almost destroyed the Heritige breeds, which were the basis for the true flavorful pork that I and many farm kids grew up with. The low fat pork products we have on the market today aren't anything like the wonderful true flavor of pork that I remember. Thankfully, the market is growing for the "true" pork flavor. Maybe, they'll eventually get it figured out and rediscover that good old "pork fat" isn't as "evil" as the studies of the day indicated it was. I'd lay odds, that the reason for the resurgence of the Heritage breeds is directly connected to Government study grants, just as the demise was. They just keep playin' us for suckers. Gotta keep the so called "scolars" employed, now don't we? Butter good, Butter bad. Margerine good, Margerine bad, etc. See a pattern here? Personally, I think that what's leading to all the clogged arteries is a direct result of what the FDA & DOA insist that our food source must contain. For our own good, don't ya know, after all they always know whats best for us, right? I've never bought into any of the "freakin' hustle" of the "food police". Screw 'em all!  I say, if it tastes good, EAT IT!!!

ShortEnd

Reactions: cycletrash
Shortend I am so glad you understand all this about the pork !!! Dave54 and I have talked and research the Berkshire hogs and regretfully we are not using them. although we want to. I have feeling we will be raising our own just for that reason . I agree it would be better if we used Berkshire pork...Hell pork chops just don't taste the same like they did when I was a boy !! We yearn for the heritage pork taste ! and are Looking to use them in the future !  The results of our prosciutto right now is that everyone that has sampled it ..........Has given the same reply..." Oh My God "

Dave54 and I suddenly have alot of friends...it is amazing how many Ham whores there is out there.  We have to guard our product!!! LMAO

I figure in 5 to 10 year  Mangalitsa  hog 
36.gif
 will be like wagu is to beef
a37.gif
.Too much money in comps this on had $110,000 in prize money.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky