Salmon - Kettle Style

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Man was/is it hot here today. Only about 81* but the humidity is killing me.

Well, it's my last day of vacation bummer, and we were looking for something besides pork, beef or poultry for supper. I thought to myself how about salmon. So yesterday I had picked up a couple of salmon fillets from the local grocer and decided to cook them up today. I normally get up around 3:30am so when I did this morning, I made a brine of 1/2 gallon water, 1/2 cup of kosher salt, and a 1/2 cup of brown sugar. I brined the salmon until roughly noon. Then gave them a good cold-water rinse, patted them dry and put them on a cooling rack in the fridge until I was ready to fire up the kettle.

The beer pole was a tad confused when I put this on her: It tasted good in this heat.
DSC04050.JPG

Salmon out of the brine: These are farm raised supposed to be Coho. I can't tell the difference.
DSC04045.JPG

One charcoal basket and a small chunk of apple wood:

DSC04053.JPG

Seasoned up with a little freshly ground pepper and onto the grill:
DSC04058.JPG

After what I think was about 20 min. I squeezed a half of lemon, and also brushed them with some honey. The higher heat is causing the albumin to ooze its way out.

DSC04064.JPG

Wifes piece:
DSC04066.JPG

...and my piece. Mine broke - I knew I should have used my fatty spatula.
DSC04068.JPG

Served with cantaloupe and a hearty veggie(s). Who said I couldn't cook veggies.
DSC04069.JPG

Well that just about does it for this week. Thanks for putting up with me. Back to work in the morning for a vacation away from my wife's honey-does.

Thanks for looking

Chris

Looks like a nice change of pace. We were thinking the same and going to do some Copper river salmon with salad tonight. Nice work. Oh, and the tail piece is my favorite.

Reactions: gmc2003
Looks great! I often harvest local trout, and totally $upport wild caught salmon for grilling or fish cakes... but for cured and smoked steelhead and salmon, the farm raised have a wonderful fat ratio. And I need to be mindful of the price because I'll smoke about 5# at a time so there is enough for gifting.

Nice cook Chris. Simple enough. Salmon is good for you. (Wife tells me that all the time) And whats up with that beer? Never heard of it. You gettin’ soft on me?

Hope you enjoyed your vacation.

Looks like a nice change of pace. We were thinking the same and going to do some Copper river salmon with salad tonight. Nice work. Oh, and the tail piece is my favorite.
Thanks Edge. I like the tail also. A V8 is sorta like a salad isn't it. Afterall it is served cold.:emoji_wink:

Looks great, love salmon on the kettle!

- Jason
Appreciate it Jason. The kettle is surly a workhorse. Not much you can't do on one.

Chris

Thanks Edge. I like the tail also. A V8 is sorta like a salad isn't it. Afterall it is served cold.:emoji_wink:

Appreciate it Jason. The kettle is surly a workhorse. Not much you can't do on one.

Chris

Chris, agreed, if I had to get rid of all of my smokers, grills, etc... and could only keep one, it would be the kettle.

- Jason

Looks great! I often harvest local trout, and totally $upport wild caught salmon for grilling or fish cakes... but for cured and smoked steelhead and salmon, the farm raised have a wonderful fat ratio. And I need to be mindful of the price because I'll smoke about 5# at a time so there is enough for gifting.
Thanks Thirdeye, My brother-in-law will drop a few salmon and trout off to me from lake Champlain. They're good and not nearly as fatty. Wild salmon from the grocers around here are outrageously expensive. I think they're currently running around 12.00/lb. I do buy them when I'm cooking for company.

Nice cook Chris. Simple enough. Salmon is good for you. (Wife tells me that all the time) And whats up with that beer? Never heard of it. You gettin’ soft on me?

Hope you enjoyed your vacation.
Appreciate it Justin. It just didn't feel like a beer day today. Maybe I'm coming down with something. I've heard salmon is good for you. It's also supposed to be brain food. I better up my intake of salmon.

Chris

Chris, agreed, if I had to get rid of all of my smokers, grills, etc... and could only keep one, it would be the kettle.

- Jason
Jason, I have two kettles a 22 and a 26". I also have a 22" WSM that's been collecting dust for at least the last year or two. Even thou I haven't used it. I just bring myself to the point of selling it. I'd keep the 26" kettle if it came down to selling them.

Chris

Reactions: millerbuilds
Chris,
I now have two kettles, but one is going to the ranch I hunt on. The new one stays here. I also have my little Smokey Joe that I bought 30 years ago when I was in high school, I should get rid of it as it has not been used in 10+ years.... I would get rid of my offset, electric, gasser and Pit Barrel before I would get rid of the kettle.

- Jason

Thanks Thirdeye, My brother-in-law will drop a few salmon and trout off to me from lake Champlain. They're good and not nearly as fatty. Wild salmon from the grocers around here are outrageously expensive. I think they're currently running around 12.00/lb. I do buy them when I'm cooking for company.
$ame here. My go-to option for smoking is steelhead trout which Sam's Club carries. It's good quality, is skin-on and comes packed in some sort of sleeve tray that is vacuum sealed. It has gone up a little in the last year, but is now around $8/lb. Walleye on the other hand can easily fetch $14 or $15/lb.
bw6riei-jpg.jpg

Good looking stuff right there Chris. Fantastic color on the salmon, and don't fret breaking one. It happens and I bet it didn't change the taste at all. I'd have been happy to eat it :emoji_wink:

Robert

$ame here. My go-to option for smoking is steelhead trout which Sam's Club carries. It's good quality, is skin-on and comes packed in some sort of sleeve tray that is vacuum sealed. It has gone up a little in the last year, but is now around $8/lb. Walleye on the other hand can easily fetch $14 or $15/lb.
View attachment 639407
They are good. I smoked a steelhead when I was visiting my daughter in Georgia. Walmart carried them.

Good looking stuff right there Chris. Fantastic color on the salmon, and don't fret breaking one. It happens and I bet it didn't change the taste at all. I'd have been happy to eat it :emoji_wink:

Robert

Appreciate it Robert, It was a rookie mistake, but one I can live with.

Chris

Chris,
Looks great. I can't remember the last time I had Salmon on the kettle. So, am I right that you used just one chimney's worth of charcoal? And for how long? Any idea as to what temp it ran at?

Think I'll thaw out a couple filets to meet with the kettle.

Craig

Chris,
Looks great. I can't remember the last time I had Salmon on the kettle. So, am I right that you used just one chimney's worth of charcoal? And for how long? Any idea as to what temp it ran at?

Think I'll thaw out a couple filets to meet with the kettle.

Craig
Appreciate it Craig. It wasn't a full chimney, maybe about half a chimney just enough to come close to filling one charcoal basket. Also they were'n't completely ashed over. The bottom vents were open to about the size of knife blade. Total time was about 45 min. to an hour I would guess. I pulled them off at around 138* and let them sit covered on the counter for a short period. Temp of the kettle would have been around 225* to 250*.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky