SALMON AND QUINOA "WHAT"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gary s

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 6, 2011
SALMON & QUINOA
 ​
I know, I know what is Quinoa  (Pronounced Keen-Wa)  My wife had lunch with one of her friends last week, who ordered Salmon and Quinoa, She had my wife get a bite and she really liked it. So I do Salmon quite a bit and last night grilled it with the Quinoa.

I'll have to say I liked it better than I was expecting too, kind of nutty. Only thing is this stuff is expensive around here. Six bucks for a small box. It is supposed to be super healthy. Anyway here are a couple of pics.

I use Bearcarvers salmon Step by Step  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/91264/final-smoked-salmon-with-recipe-instructions-and-qview

Only thing is I keep grilling it, (I promised Bear I would get around to smoking some}.

But it sure is good grilled.

Thanks

Looks Great, Gary!!
drool.gif

I don't know about that other stuff, but the Salmon is worth some---
points.gif

My Sister likes that Quinoa, but she doesn't count---She's a Vegan (Shhhhh).

Nice Job, Gary!
icon14.gif

Bear

Thanks Bear   I appreciate it

Gary

I guess no one likes Quinoa ????

Gary

Looks great! Personally I'll take the quinoa over the fish! Just not a fish eater but they are fun to catch and spear!

I just seen this. Looks great.

We use some of this as a egg replacer cause of my son.

Never tried it by itself.

First time for me, Been reading about it, there is white, red, and black   It is supposed to be real good for you. And if you are Diabetic and can't eat rice and pasta  great substitute 

Gary

Looks good. I was going to ask about how you made the Quinoa. It is much better for you than Rice. We eat it a couple times a month here. Can be prepared simply like a Pilaf with stock and Mire Poix or more complicated. A recipe I made with Crabcakes...JJ

Butternut Quinoa Risotto

Adapted from Cooking Quinoa

1 Butternut Squash...Cut in 1/2inch Dice

2T EVOO

a Pinch S & P

Roast at 425*F until golden and tender about 30 minutes...Keep warm.

4 Cups Low Sodium Chicken or Vegetable Broth...Brought to a simmer

1T EVOO

1/2C Diced Onion

1T Minced Garlic

1/2tsp Black Pepper

1/4-1/2tsp Cayenne Pepper

1/2C White Wine

1T minced Fresh Thyme

1T minced Fresh Sage

1C Peas...Fresh or Defrosted Frozen

4oz Goat Cheese...Chevre

1/4C Grated Parm Reggiano

Saute Onion until soft in EVOO, about 5 min.

Add Garlic and Quinoa saute 2 minutes.

Add Peppers and Wine, cook over Medium heat until absorbed, stirring frequently.

Add two cups Broth simmer until almost absorbed.

Continue adding 3Cups Broth...1/2Cup at a time with frequent stirring. Cook until Quinoa is tender.

Add Herbs, Peas and Squash with 1/2C broth. Simmer and Stir until Hot.

Add Cheeses and Stir to combine.

Serve.

Makes about 4 Cups.

Comes out very creamy...But I did not reduce it enough this time. I now make it drier...

Last edited:
Sounds Good,   I just went Basic since it was my first time

Gary

Great meal Gary. The wives drag us kicking and screaming into the foods of 21st century.

Love quinoa. So versatile...add some chopped vegs and it makes a meal on its own. Of course salmon quinoa is a step above.

Do you have a Costco warehouse around? I am sure they carry quinoa at a reasonable price.

Great looking meal Gary!

Us left coasters put Quiona in everything. Even our Boudine! Don't tell Foamheart! Any recipe that calls for rice gets Quinoa.

That's how we roll in Da PNW!

Looks great Gary!

We have that exact meal a couple of times a month.

It's also good with blackened tilapia.

Quinoa goes well with so many dishes!

Al

Thanks guys, I didn't know. That's what great about this site so much Info.  No Costco but we have a Sam's  I'll have to check

Honestly I wasn't expecting much, But it was really good. Now I need to find it at a good price ??

About what do you guys pay for it ?

Gary

Thanks Gary.  Now at least I know how to pronounce the stuff.  Now, I just have to google it to find out what it is.  Been reading the name everywhere, but just never bothered checking it out--figured it was just another one of those "new" healthy foods that probably didn't taste like much of anything. 
huh.gif

Gary

Never even thought about it till My Wife tried it   You never Know !!

Gary

Now that's a good one Gary!

My cardiologist is on my tail to lose weight, so this one will be done very soon.  I'm not big on salmon, but if I can hide the taste with some good quinoa, I'll do it!

Points for the inspiration!

Thanks CB and Disco

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky