Salami... White mold and sticky cases??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

haeffnkr

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 27, 2015
Hey all I made some salami earlier this week and now I'm fermenting it at 72° with bactoform T-SPX... Starting to get little bit of white speck mold and the cases are starting to get a little sticky...I know I read it in other places but this is what I'm looking for right? just leave this alone? Going to move it over to my drying chamber tomorrow as it's been 3.5 days fermenting. I cured a lot of sausage but never fermented any salami....

Thanks in advance h a e f f n k

PXL_20210131_191415982.jpg
PXL_20210131_191402187.jpg

r
PXL_20210131_190401047.jpg

Reactions: kruizer
The sticky stuff is yeast.
Did you inoculate with mold culture or is the white mold natural?

Spacing looks to be a little tight to me, which could be the cause of the yeast bloom...humidity is likely 5-8% higher between the salamis. Try to get at least 1-1 1/2" spacing for better airflow.

Yeast usually shows up first, but if it is thick, just wipe it off with dilute vinegar solution and an old rag. Then reapply mold 600 culture.

Some questions about your set up-
Are you leaving the door open while fermenting? What is the wood on the chamber floor for? And I would clean the floor, wipe it with some vinegar to clean it. It that dirt on the floor?

And what is the blemish on the salami on the right?

The sticky stuff is yeast.
Did you inoculate with mold culture or is the white mold natural?

Spacing looks to be a little tight to me, which could be the cause of the yeast bloom...humidity is likely 5-8% higher between the salamis. Try to get at least 1-1 1/2" spacing for better airflow.

Yeast usually shows up first, but if it is thick, just wipe it off with dilute vinegar solution and an old rag. Then reapply mold 600 culture.
I just put in T-SPX in the meat and stuffed them , nothing on the outside of the casings.
Yes they are a bit tight and will move them to my curing box later today that is not 72F.
This is the best I could come up with to ferment these at 72 F for 4 days in my basement. I can definately smell some tang/lacto. .This fridge is just a fermenting chamber that I use for beer usually, so I have heat/cold controlls, not humidity.

I am not trying to get anything to grow on them .. just want to be sure it is OK so far.

Some questions about your set up-
Are you leaving the door open while fermenting? What is the wood on the chamber floor for? And I would clean the floor, wipe it with some vinegar to clean it. It that dirt on the floor?

And what is the blemish on the salami on the right?
No not open. I just fan it and get some dry air and close it up... open every few hours, nothing scientific. Yes there is some dirt on the floor...

OK I can clean it up a bit... but again.. these sauasages are going to their longterm home soon.

There is nothing on the right sausage... it is a small sausage in front of a other longer ones.

thanks for the help haeffnkr

More pics.
Overall I just wanted to know that this sausage is okay to continue to cure and dry?

PXL_20210131_221609499.jpg
PXL_20210131_221626813.jpg

This the long term home...
Already Have some summer sausage slim jim's and chorizoP in it.

Humidity controlled to pull in dry 36% air into the box. Intake fan on the bottom and exhaust on the top. Vented outside with an inline 4" vent fan. Fan on the bottom to push dry air up run all the time to keep the air moving.
Stays in the 50s this time of year... pulls cold air off the concrete. Basement temps about 65.

PXL_20210131_221920650.jpg
PXL_20210131_221907655.jpg
PXL_20210131_221851119.jpg

Last edited:
I just put in T-SPX in the meat and stuffed them , nothing on the outside of the casings.
Yes they are a bit tight and will move them to my curing box later today that is not 72F.
This is the best I could come up with to ferment these at 72 F for 4 days in my basement. I can definately smell some tang/lacto. .This fridge is just a fermenting chamber that I use for beer usually, so I have heat/cold controlls, not humidity.

I am not trying to get anything to grow on them .. just want to be sure it is OK so far.
What percentage of salt did you use in the mix?
cure#1 or cure#2???

Wipe them with dilute vinegar. adjust the spacing in your chamber when you transfer. If you are not going to inoculate mold on the outside, the yeast may return. Thick yeast will inhibit moisture loss, and may contibute sour off flavor to the salami surface.
How much dextrose did you use? Did you check the final pH at the end of fermentation?

Reactions: haeffnkr
What percentage of salt did you use in the mix?
cure#1 or cure#2???

3% the recipe says. - 252 grams of kosher salt for 19.8 pounds of pork.
Used this recipe - https://tasteofartisan.com/homemade-salami-milano/ This recipe and the ingredients/amounts are similar to the Rytek Kutas salami recipe.

I made 19.8 pounds and multiplied each ingredient by 9 to scale it up. I added 6 grams of t-spx per a recommendation, so that is more than then 1 gram the recipe calls for.

#2 Cure.

Wipe them with dilute vinegar. adjust the spacing in your chamber when you transfer. If you are not going to inoculate mold on the outside, the yeast may return. Thick yeast will inhibit moisture loss, and may contibute sour off flavor to the salami surface.
How much dextrose did you use? Did you check the final pH at the end of fermentation?

20 grams of corn sugar and 30 grams of table sugar for 19.8 pounds and 6 grams of t-spx

No on the ph check.

You should be good with those sugar additions for good fermentation. Roughly 0.22% Dextrose and 0.33% sugar (fructose).
I use kilos when making salami, so much easier to scale everything.

Reactions: haeffnkr
Looking at your chamber set up...
...so you are pulling in dry RH36% air into the chamber?

Yes, what ever the basement air is... stays mid 30s ... right now it is 36%.
I tried last year to put in a mini humidifier that was controller switched and it could not keep up with the demand. I just run the vent fans now and it is working great now, I have had it going for 10 days now.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky