• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
So I bought roughly 90# of bone in Pasture Raised Berkshire pork this past Monday for my whole muscle projects with the intention of using the trim for salami.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/culatello-2023.323753/

After Salting the whole muscles, I turned my attention to trimming the lean and cubing the fat for salami. I had roughly 13kg. total. For the lean it was a mix of loin, ham leg, shoulder, belly, and Coppa trim; for the fat, I had back, ham leg, belly, throat and cheek (from the pig head I got). I decided on Piemonte Salami and Calabrian Soppressata. Here we go....

Meats and fats selected for the Piemonte Salami, chilled to 30-32*F...
IMG_20231024_143532.jpg

Ground through a 10mm plate...
IMG_20231024_155632.jpg

meat surface smoothed out so you can see what the cross cut will look like in a finished salami (trick I learned from an Italian)....
IMG_20231024_160802.jpg

And here is a good tip Cajuneric Cajuneric : I use a clothes pin to hold the twist on the casing tightly for easy two-hand tying. The twist holds the clothes pin against the sheet pan. You can get the knot to hold the salami very firm doing this....
IMG_20231024_194208.jpg

10 Piemonte Salami stuffed....
IMG_20231024_192548.jpg

And hanging in the fermentation can...
IMG_20231024_212112.jpg

Color of the salami after fermenting 31 hours to pH5.26 with SM-194 culture...
IMG_20231025_215053.jpg

IMG_20231025_220607.jpg

IMG_20231026_000727.jpg

Here is the Calabrian meat and fat ground through 8mm plate...
IMG_20231024_181714.jpg

mixed up ready to be stuffed...
IMG_20231024_184904.jpg

Fermenting complete after 52 hours with TSPX to pH 5.3...look at that color!
IMG_20231026_213901.jpg

And pressed flat during fermentation to get the shape set...
IMG_20231026_084825.jpg

Nice! I'm pretty close to making the leap into salami, but holy guacamole that's a lotta stuff!

Reactions: indaswamp
I got the Ritz crackers ready to go! When we snacking? I can only imagine the smells from that can.

jim
Thanks Jim!

Man oh man do I wish I was your best friend! :emoji_sunglasses:
Thanks Spook!

Nice! I'm pretty close to making the leap into salami, but holy guacamole that's a lotta stuff!
Thank you Mr. Whipple. You buy Marianski's yellow book yet? I can not stress how great that book is for someone just getting started into making salami.....

Thanks Jim!

Thanks Spook!

Thank you Mr. Whipple. You buy Marianski's yellow book yet? I can not stress how great that book is for someone just getting started into making salami.....
Yes. Both green and yellow books almost a year ago if not longer... I've now read yellow cover to cover at least three times and am just being myself... scared to make the jump. The last 5-6 if not 10 years have been a pretty incredible journey so I'm sure it will work out, just being safe I suppose. The whole muscle stuff I've done since shifting from umai to my hacked wine fridge has been a neat learning curve with very good results. I keep an eye on you, LoydB LoydB BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker among others and have watched almost every video made at 2 guys and a cooler.

Either way, what you have going on is killer!!!

Reactions: LoydB and indaswamp
The big thing for me to wrap my brain around as far as fermenting is concerned was forcing myself to leave meat out at room temperature and believe it is safe. I had to trust the process.... the hurdles that hinder bad bacteria growth and help the culture were key for me. The pH meter was peace of mind when I started, but now it is a valuable tool for me to dial in the amount of sugars I need to drop the pH to a safe level at or below 5.3. Once you add that culture to the meat, it should never see refrigerator temps. while drying. That culture needs to work rapidly creating acid and crowd out the bad bacteria. The bioprotective bactericides need to be made by the culture. Once I really understood this, I felt way better leaving the meat out. Also, the clues to good fermentation help....the sweet fermenting smell, not a putrid rotting smell tell you all is going well.....

The degree/hours formula for safe fermentation should be followed. this tells you exactly how many hours at your fermentation temperature you can allow the meat to stay out until pH 5.3 or lower is achieved....This is to limit Staph. Aureus growth.

I had:
8,15Kg. Lean Class 1 & 2
2.90Kg. Back Fat
1,40Kg Belly and throat Fat

I split the lean in half; 4,075g. per batch. All the belly and throat fat went in the Piemonte Salami (which is traditional for a soft salami upon drying) I also added about 700g. of the back fat. The remainder of the back fat went in the Calabrian Soppressata. Each salami is around 26-28% fat, which is ideal IMO.

Man I would love to sit down to a board of your creations! Just next level!

Man Keith, that's a serious load of some serious looking salami. Cannot wait to see it all done, sliced, and on my doorstep :emoji_wink: We still need to figure out a friendly trade. I have a few goodies that you might enjoy playing with.

Robert

Reactions: indaswamp
So I bought roughly 90# of bone in Pasture Raised Berkshire pork this past Monday for my whole muscle projects with the intention of using the trim for salami.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/culatello-2023.323753/

After Salting the whole muscles, I turned my attention to trimming the lean and cubing the fat for salami. I had roughly 13kg. total. For the lean it was a mix of loin, ham leg, shoulder, belly, and Coppa trim; for the fat, I had back, ham leg, belly, throat and cheek (from the pig head I got). I decided on Piemonte Salami and Calabrian Soppressata. Here we go....

Meats and fats selected for the Piemonte Salami, chilled to 30-32*F...
View attachment 679467

Ground through a 10mm plate...
View attachment 679468

meat surface smoothed out so you can see what the cross cut will look like in a finished salami (trick I learned from an Italian)....
View attachment 679469

And here is a good tip Cajuneric Cajuneric : I use a clothes pin to hold the twist on the casing tightly for easy two-hand tying. The twist holds the clothes pin against the sheet pan. You can get the knot to hold the salami very firm doing this....
View attachment 679473

10 Piemonte Salami stuffed....
View attachment 679472

And hanging in the fermentation can...
View attachment 679474

Color of the salami after fermenting 31 hours to pH5.26 with SM-194 culture...
View attachment 679475
View attachment 679476
View attachment 679478

Here is the Calabrian meat and fat ground through 8mm plate...
View attachment 679470

mixed up ready to be stuffed...
View attachment 679471

Fermenting complete after 52 hours with TSPX to pH 5.3...look at that color!
View attachment 679481

And pressed flat during fermentation to get the shape set...
View attachment 679480
Excellent detail. Great rundown. Looks delicious.
Brad

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky