Fermenting Salami With Natural Cheese Whey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Simi Kay

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 2, 2023
Czech Republic
Hi, I would like to share an experiment, that I made on fermenting salami. On our farm, we have a cheese dairy, and they make naturally fermented cheese, and the woman there told me about the bacteria we have in this kitchen, and they are the same as the ones in the freeze-cultures, just with a wider spectrum of bacteria, and bacteria that are made to thrive in our area. And while there is no problem with using freeze-cultures I like to use something that I can source from my farm, and it is a lot cheaper. The experiment will be in the spreadsheet below.

Test, fermenting with cheese wheymeatFermenting methodamountFermenting temp CpH after 18 hourspH after 26 hoursNoteTaste test
1: Kontrol200g ground vealFlora Italia FC25g/100kg25c 90%rH
4.9​
XFirm and fermented smellPerfect
Naturally fermented200g ground vealNoNo25c 90%rH
5.3​
5.1​
not as firm, more moldwild taste, good though
3: 5ml cheese whey200g ground vealUnfermented cheese whey5ml25c 90%rH
5.5​
5.1​
Firm and fermented smellLess good, not tangy enough
4: 10ml cheese whey200g ground vealUnfermented cheese whey10ml25c 90%rH
5.4​
5​
Firm and fermented smellgood
5: 15ml cheese whey200g ground vealUnfermented cheese whey15ml25c 90%rH
5.3​
4.9​
Firm and fermented smellgood, tangier

Thats cool
Always new ways to make fermented meats coming out.

Cool stuff. I played with using buttermilk and natural yogurt to ferment SS and they worked but preferred my results with a culture (FRM52). Did not take measurements but came up with similar findings that the results were on the milder side. Also similar to you I needed to use more to get the effect I wanted but it started to lighten the sausage so I moved away from it. Cool part with whey is that it will also help with the bind.

Reactions: Simi Kay
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky