• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WarPigAlpha

Original poster
Jun 6, 2020
I'm relatively new to smoking but here is my situation. I started to smoke a 6 lb brisket at 185 degrees at 11 pm last night. I woke up at 630 am wrapped it in butcher's paper and then turned it up to 225 degrees. Everything was fine until I left the house for an hour and a half and came back to my smoker which was off due to the pellets being jammed. I cleaned it all out and fired it back up. When I put the probe back in, the brisket was at 139 degrees. Is this still ok to continue to cook, or should I toss it? I was really looking forward to eating this until everything happened.

I'm relatively new to smoking but here is my situation. I started to smoke a 6 lb brisket at 185 degrees at 11 pm last night. I woke up at 630 am wrapped it in butcher's paper and then turned it up to 225 degrees. Everything was fine until I left the house for an hour and a half and came back to my smoker which was off due to the pellets being jammed. I cleaned it all out and fired it back up. When I put the probe back in, the brisket was at 139 degrees. Is this still ok to continue to cook, or should I toss it? I was really looking forward to eating this until everything happened.
You should be able to continue the cook. I'm new to smoking also but have done alot of cooking/grilling and there isn't too much of a good safety concern as long as you get to temp before eating. No need to waste! Let me know what happened

Was this asked somewhere else? Thought I saw a response ... pre-cognitive CRS disease I guess.

Yeah should be (have been?) good ... getting to those temps on the outside of a solid piece of meat should have killed any surface bacteria.

Ok I'm no expert... But I'm sure one will chime in soon. I've heard if you not at 140 with in a few hours its bad. Then again if you take it to 205 does that take care of this issue?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky