• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Safe thread sealant for grease trap drain pipe

xxsmokedoutxx

Fire Starter
Joined May 27, 2015
Hey guys,
I am doing a bit of maintenance on my smoker, and wanted to fix a leaking issue. My grease trap drain pipe seems to be leaking through the threads. I've tried Teflon tape, but it still leaks. I don't know if it is safe to use pipe dope, since the first set of threads are in the cooking chamber. Does anyone have any suggestions?

joe black

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 25, 2015
From a safety standpoint, it simply doesn't matter. Your meat doesn't touch the threads does it? I don't understand why Teflon tape doesn't work, it should. Try dope or joint compound if the meat doesn't touch.

xxsmokedoutxx

Fire Starter
Joined May 27, 2015
I figured using the wrong thing could let off gases with the heat involved. The meat will be only about 2 1/2 inches from the threads, so I would rather be safe than sorry. I'll try the dope and see if that works. Thanks.

danquixote

SMF Premier Member
Joined Jul 15, 2015
Don't know what type of nipple you are using for your "pipe"....but brass threads are for the most part  self sealing.

danquixote

SMF Premier Member
Joined Jul 15, 2015
My guess then would be that the leak is happening at the nipple where it enters the cooker. Metals of different thickness and material will expand and contract at different rates. Might try going with brass nipple and valve. Plumbers putty and pipe dope both have solvents. 

wimpy69

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 4, 2014
If your weary of using pipe dope or Teflon tape you can use lampwick or fine mesh gauze to wrap your threads. Grease will swell material and create a seal.

xxsmokedoutxx

Fire Starter
Joined May 27, 2015
My guess then would be that the leak is happening at the nipple where it enters the cooker. Metals of different thickness and material will expand and contract at different rates. Might try going with brass nipple and valve. Plumbers putty and pipe dope both have solvents. 
There is no nipple. It's a 1"steel pipe that goes straight to the baffle plate/grease trap straight through the cooking chamber wall. I did put RTV around this section though.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.