S. V. Corned Beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

old golfer guy

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 21, 2017
Searched SV C.B.and found most were from at least 11 months ago. Looking for more recent imput on C. B. Looking at the older posts I came away with 2 trains of thought for store bought C. B. Cook 10 hrs at 180 or 135 to 145 for 24 to 48 hrs. I don't have time for the 60 hr cook and feel the meat would be to mushy that long. Any mew thoughts on this? Also should it be soaked in water to get the salt out.
Thanks

I'd soak store bought corned beef 24 hours, changing the water a few times in the fridge since not simmering. 10 hours at 180 sounds good.

Forgot to mention this is Snake River Farms Wagyu Beef Round. Think that will make any difference? Twice as much as the other C. B. Costco was selling

I'd still soak. You can always add salt but once it's cooked your stuck with it. I'm about to sear a bottom round roast from being in a 131 water bath for 28 hours. I did one before at 135 for 50 hours that turned out surprisingly good so I wanted try lower and shorter. But these aren't cured so I don't know.

I soak mine for 3 or 4 hours, changing the water a couple of times. Then smoke for a few hours until you hit 130 IT, then bag it up & SV it for 24 hours at 132. Ice it down & refrigerate it overnight. Then slice it up.
Al

Reactions: dr k
I've been making corned beef every other month for the past year. Using my dry brine method. To cook I have found that the best texture has been to sous vide. I have tried low and slow and high and fast. The best texture has been going high and fast. So 180°-183° for 10-12 hours.

The dry brine method in this thread is hard to beat.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...corned-beef-now-with-the-final-report.259594/

Thanks2003. I decided on 180 for 10 hrs. buy am still concerned about the grade and cut. This S.R.F. Wagu and a cut of round beef not a brisket. Do you think it will make any difference?

Too late now. Dinner at 6:30, started in SV at 8:00. Keeping my fingers crossed!!
I'll let you know how it turns out.

180 for 10 hrs. the way to go! I did 2 pieces of corned beef, one the old fashioned way, boiled for about 3hrs. The other was SVed for 10hrs and it was great. It had a nice firm feel to it and stayed very juicy. Both pieces were very tender and could be cut with a fork [ Wagu the reason for that ??] but the SV just had a little firmer bit to it an all agreed it was better.

180 for 10 hrs. the way to go! I did 2 pieces of corned beef, one the old fashioned way, boiled for about 3hrs. The other was SVed for 10hrs and it was great. It had a nice firm feel to it and stayed very juicy. Both pieces were very tender and could be cut with a fork [ Wagu the reason for that ??] but the SV just had a little firmer bit to it an all agreed it was better.
Thermoworks weekly ad has a recipe attached to it and last weeks was manually keeping the temp at 180* for 10 hours for those without a sou vide. That means setting high and low alarms on the Smoke therm they used to call you into the kitchen to turn the stove up or down to average 180* so to speak. That wouldn't be something I would want to do for many hours.

Golfer,

I’ve done cb for 48 hours at 139, and then just last weekend I did 3 of the them at 139 for 64 hours. I can assure you the meat wasn’t mush at all. Had multiple people tell me it was the best reubens they’ve ever had. I really couldn’t tell much of a difference between 48 and 64 hours so next time I’d stop at 48 if i was going to use the low and slow method. Never tried the high and quick method but I’m gonna next time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky