Rub ideas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Eckoman518

Original poster
Jun 5, 2019
So what do you all use in your rubs? I usually use a 1/1 ratio of brown sugar and paprika, and then ill throw some garlic salt, pepper, and other seasonings in as well, just trying to see what others here do.

Reactions: JC in GB
Asking for rub recipes is like asking to dance with another man's wife. Secret runs are secret.

Just kidding, for me it really depends on the meat and what I am pairing it with.
I have found lately I am really digging some Asian spices and have been making up some new ribs that incorporate those, like 5 spice powder.

there are a s**t ton of recipes shared on here. Jeff's are solid and worth buying the recipe for. I used Jeffs exclusively for a while with great results. but then felt like it was time to experiment. I made a few others I found and bought a bunch rec tec one because I needed a touch more for free shipping on a accessory. those have been the only ones i have purchased so far. when i start running low I am dabble in other pre-made ones. so far I have enjoyed all of them for their uniqueness.

it depends on what you are making and how you like it. salty, sweet, spiced up...options are limitless.

I guess i should have clarified what I am smoking, i am smoking some pork butt tomorrow. I wasnt necessarily looking for recipies just ideas, im relatively novice, I have mainly only smoked butt, but have also done a few chickens and ribs once. I had a old vertical charbroil and just got a dyna glo offset.

The seasoning I use on pork shoulder changes with my mood. I have done shoulders with SPOG, Texas, and sweet paprika based rubs. All produce great results. The key to a good shoulder is to get it to the right temperature to pull. I have not tried this myself but other pit masters will put in a shoulder unseasoned and season it the way they like after the cook.

Don't sweat the rub too much. Any good rub will make your pork taste great. If you are a newb, I would suggest just using SPOG and add perhaps a bit of paprika for color and some brown sugar if you want help forming bark. That was one thing I didn't like about my Dyna-Glo, it didn't produce good bark. :(

I usually use a SPOG mix like this:

4 parts black pepper
3 parts kosher salt
1 part granulated garlic
1 part granulated onion

Adjust to your personal taste....

for a tomorrow cook, if you have a local place to shop for these, look for a pork/rib rub that is more sugar than salt. my butcher has a ton of them to choose from-tho i havent chosen one....hmmm

I usually use a ratio of 4:1 Salt/Onion Powder. Nothing else. Also injecting with straight Barton's vodka yields great results with the rub. Give it a try on those butts and let me know what you think!

Just Kidding! Jeff's are a good starting point. SPOG paprika brown sugar etc... go well on pork. If you are looking for something commercial and don't want to break the bank Stubb's has pretty good stuff at a reasonable price. Good luck!

So what do you all use in your rubs? I usually use a 1/1 ratio of brown sugar and paprika, and then ill throw some garlic salt, pepper, and other seasonings in as well, just trying to see what others here do.
My pulled pork rub is pretty basic
1 cup brown or raw sugar
1/3 cup each ~ dark chili powder and mild paprika
1TBSP kosher salt
2 tsp ground mustard seed
1 tsp each ~ onion powder, garlic powder and cayenne pepper...
For ribs I cut the sugar to about 2/3 cup.
For beef I'm lazy...I like Montreal steak seasoning or simply SPOG (4-3-1-1 coarse ground black pepper, kosher salt, garlic, onion) on almost everything.
I usually brine chicken in ginger ale, salt and brown sugar, rub the skin (and under) with butter then season with salt, pepper, thyme, mint and dill.
Or tony chachere cajun spice mix for a bit of "kick"
But runs are a personal preference...
I dont know many that dont "tinker" or "tweek" recipe or just go real basic.
Use a common proven recipe then fool with it (exactly as you say you are...)
Walt

the others are spot on with advice. One thing I like to add to a pork rub is a bit of ground up dried Rosemary. I like it so well that I keep a couple of rosemary plats going year around and cut fresh as needed. To dry quickly, place fresh sprigs in the microwave and nuke it in 15 second cycles turning the sprigs between cycles until dried. Strip the leaves from the twigs and grind in a spice grinder, or coffee bean grinder. If using a bean grinder, clean thoroughly before the wife grinds her coffee in it! :emoji_wink:

Reactions: Eckoman518
My pulled pork rub is pretty basic
1 cup brown or raw sugar
1/3 cup each ~ dark chili powder and mild paprika
1TBSP kosher salt
2 tsp ground mustard seed
1 tsp each ~ onion powder, garlic powder and cayenne pepper...
For ribs I cut the sugar to about 2/3 cup.
For beef I'm lazy...I like Montreal steak seasoning or simply SPOG (4-3-1-1 coarse ground black pepper, kosher salt, garlic, onion) on almost everything.
I usually brine chicken in ginger ale, salt and brown sugar, rub the skin (and under) with butter then season with salt, pepper, thyme, mint and dill.
Or tony chachere cajun spice mix for a bit of "kick"
But runs are a personal preference...
I dont know many that dont "tinker" or "tweek" recipe or just go real basic.
Use a common proven recipe then fool with it (exactly as you say you are...)
Walt

Nice. I like that rub mix. I am going too write that down and try it. Also brining chicken with ginger ale I must try. I am doing that this weekend.

I use this rub for damn near everything that goes in the smoker, I mix up and keep in the cupboard what I didn’t use that day.

1/2 cup CBP
1/2 cup garlic powder
1/2 cup Tony’s
1/2 cup onion powder
1/2 cup raw sugar
1/4 cup kosher salt.

I purchased Jeff`s rub and you cant go wrong with it but if you want to buy an excellent rub try Killer Hogs

Really depends on what I'm smoking and feeling like at the moment. Generally I have different rubs for ribs, butts, brisket etc... For Ribs lately it's been the combination of two commercially available rubs. For butts, its combo pulled together. Both of those can be found in my sig recipes below. Now for brisket, it's pure Texas baby, 50-50 salt & freshly ground black pepper!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky