rounds 2 and 3 kielbasa (updated)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boykjo

Renowned Sausage Maker
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Apr 28, 2010
Raleigh,NC
Just picked up 55.8 lbs case pork shoulder from sams. Will be making round 2 the jalapeno cheese kielbasa today. Just going to post the final open shot of the kielbasa...... Should be ready tomorrow...

bdad7f66_HPIM1295.jpg

Cool,looking forward to following your process on these boykjo.Pics,pics and more please
cool.gif

I never done a jalapeno&cheese kielbasa   before. Only the cheese. But i have made a ton of jalapeno&cheese deer summer sausage and it's always good.

Last edited:
I never done the cheese thing either. Bought a #5 bag of sharp cheddar from butcher packer. The guys at work love my kielbasa and one said he loves jalopens. so the next batch I made I added some and to my surprise, it was good. i usually dont mess with my recipe.

Hope you have better luck with the regular Cheddar then i did. I stared out trying to make my summer sausages with regular cheese and it did not work so well. The cheese keep melting and separating on me. It would taste fine but most of the cheese would be melted into the meat.

I have since swapped to using only the high temp cheese with my sausages and it has work great!

Hope you have better luck with the regular Cheddar then i did. I stared out trying to make my summer sausages with regular cheese and it did not work so well. The cheese keep melting and separating on me. It would taste fine but most of the cheese would be melted into the meat.

I have since swapped to using only the high temp cheese with my sausages and it has work great!
Its high temp cheese

All mixed up. This stuff smells good raw

80d99a59_HPIM1307.jpg

hey, bluebombersfan. I was waiting for that. I'm sorry I cannot post my recipe. I worked over 12 yrs to perfect my recipe and have something special. I plan on having my sausage made here in NC and sell it locally to start as soon as save enough money. I can tell you to keep it simple. Nepas just made some kielbasa with a recipe that was a basic formula. I would definitely give that a try. It looked pretty good to me.... you can add things but I would do a little at a time. Not enough is better than too much................

Last edited:
Just picked up 55.8 lbs case pork shoulder from sams. Will be making round 2 the jalapeno cheese kielbasa today. Just going to post the final open shot of the kielbasa...... Should be ready tomorrow...

bdad7f66_HPIM1295.jpg

Reminds me of a couple years ago when i got 900 lbs of boneless pork butts and 400 lbs of chicken fajita strips.

But thats a whole nuther story ....LOL

Reminds me of a couple years ago when i got 900 lbs of boneless pork butts and 400 lbs of chicken fajita strips.

But thats a whole nuther story ....LOL
900 lbs of boneless pork shoulders..................  
sausage.gif
sausage.gif
sausage.gif
sausage.gif
sausage.gif
sausage.gif
sausage.gif
sausage.gif
sausage.gif
      and no story!    
wtf1.gif

100   100   100   100   100   100   100   100   100

Didnt get to stuff today. Been at the doctors all day. Im feeling better now. Will get to it in the morning..............

Last edited:
Stuffed and in the smoker for a cold smoke with apple dust then temp up and smoke. One thing I think i did wrong was I added the high temp cheese when I added the seasoning/cure and set in fridge over night. The cheese looked moist. I should mixed it in right before stuffing. Oh well. We'll see how it comes out. Did a fry test. Gooooood. If you make kielbasa I would highly recommend adding some jalapeno peppers to it. I used a jar of mount olive diced jalapeno pepper drained for #30. Time for a nap.......

e5c55701_HPIM1308.jpg

1c95f4f3_HPIM1309.jpg

b300efc3_HPIM1310.jpg

hey, bluebombersfan. I was waiting for that. I'm sorry I cannot post my recipe. I worked over 12 yrs to perfect my recipe and have something special. I plan on having my sausage made here in NC and sell it locally to start as soon as save enough money. I can tell you to keep it simple. Nepas just made some kielbasa with a recipe that was a basic formula. I would definitely give that a try. It looked pretty good to me.... you can add things but I would do a little at a time. Not enough is better than too much................

Please don't take offense, and i probably should just keep my mouth shut but all this "proprietism" in the world these days i think is part of our problem. I understand the desire to have that "special" recipe, but seriously it's kielbasa not a spy satellite. Everyone is SOOOO protective of thier rub or thier recipe or thier method that nothing gets shared and old world methods die out of existence! If it weren't for guys like Rytek Kutas who in spite of making real money for his craft has shared everything and anything in his book to help others and to make sure these things didnt disappear from life.

We all need to be less worried about making that extra nickel and more concerned about who can carry on our craft and let our special recipes live on for future generations. If you truly have something that awsome you should be grateful others want to be a part of it. To be honest, everything all of us are doing here i gauruntee is at least partially based on someone else. Can you truly say your secret recipe didn't begin from another's book or wasn't inspired from an old forum recipe post. kielbasa by it's definition is a specific base recipe which began probably centuries ago that everyone's recipe is derived from. If none of those ancient people shared their recipe we wouldn't be here talking about it today.

This isn't really directed at you Boykjo, but it seems i'm constantly reading threads where new guys are asking for rubs or recipes and always get the same old "well that would be my secret" responses. I just had a conversation with a friend whos grandfather passed away last year where he was comparing my hobbies of bacon, beer, sausage, etc. with how everyone back in the day used to do that kind of thing. It seemed the spirit of sharing recipes died with his generation. Same thing with my wifes grandfather and if he was around today i know for sure he would be ecstatic about sharing his recipes and methods with me.

Once you do save up to start selling, the feds and sheer bs of for profit food manufacturing are going to turn your recipe into an abomination anyway. Noones going to pay $20 a lb for sausage so right there you start using fillers to reduce costs. Then the fda says your plant is unsafe so you start adding chemicals to inhibit bactieral growth to USDA standards, then you start using inferior meat because butchering costs are getting too high, and all this before you even make it out of the local market. Ok i digress, thats all pure speculation but we see this sort of thing everyday when we go to the supermarket to buy our food.

Enjoy your kielbasa, let friends and family partake, share the love and reap the joyful happiness that is making people happy with your hobby and craft. Don't put stipulations on it, it ruins the mood. I just bought a 9lb belly and spent my hard earned free time turning it into bacon. I'll share that recipe with ANYONE who asks and the bacon, well thats almost all doled out already to people i care about so they can enjoy something that is hard to find these days. I wouldn't dream of charging them, honestly i can't anyway i'm not licensed to sell ;) thats a joke btw, i don't and never would want to charge for things i craft in my spare time.

Please don't take offense, and i probably should just keep my mouth shut but all this "proprietism" in the world these days i think is part of our problem. I understand the desire to have that "special" recipe, but seriously it's kielbasa not a spy satellite. Everyone is SOOOO protective of thier rub or thier recipe or thier method that nothing gets shared and old world methods die out of existence! If it weren't for guys like Rytek Kutas who in spite of making real money for his craft has shared everything and anything in his book to help others and to make sure these things didnt disappear from life.

We all need to be less worried about making that extra nickel and more concerned about who can carry on our craft and let our special recipes live on for future generations. If you truly have something that awsome you should be grateful others want to be a part of it. To be honest, everything all of us are doing here i gauruntee is at least partially based on someone else. Can you truly say your secret recipe didn't begin from another's book or wasn't inspired from an old forum recipe post. kielbasa by it's definition is a specific base recipe which began probably centuries ago that everyone's recipe is derived from. If none of those ancient people shared their recipe we wouldn't be here talking about it today.

This isn't really directed at you Boykjo, but it seems i'm constantly reading threads where new guys are asking for rubs or recipes and always get the same old "well that would be my secret" responses. I just had a conversation with a friend whos grandfather passed away last year where he was comparing my hobbies of bacon, beer, sausage, etc. with how everyone back in the day used to do that kind of thing. It seemed the spirit of sharing recipes died with his generation. Same thing with my wifes grandfather and if he was around today i know for sure he would be ecstatic about sharing his recipes and methods with me.

Once you do save up to start selling, the feds and sheer bs of for profit food manufacturing are going to turn your recipe into an abomination anyway. Noones going to pay $20 a lb for sausage so right there you start using fillers to reduce costs. Then the fda says your plant is unsafe so you start adding chemicals to inhibit bactieral growth to USDA standards, then you start using inferior meat because butchering costs are getting too high, and all this before you even make it out of the local market. Ok i digress, thats all pure speculation but we see this sort of thing everyday when we go to the supermarket to buy our food.

Enjoy your kielbasa, let friends and family partake, share the love and reap the joyful happiness that is making people happy with your hobby and craft. Don't put stipulations on it, it ruins the mood. I just bought a 9lb belly and spent my hard earned free time turning it into bacon. I'll share that recipe with ANYONE who asks and the bacon, well thats almost all doled out already to people i care about so they can enjoy something that is hard to find these days. I wouldn't dream of charging them, honestly i can't anyway i'm not licensed to sell ;) thats a joke btw, i don't and never would want to charge for things i craft in my spare time.
No offense. your opinion is well taken.......

Looking good so far boykjo.

I see now you have the high temp cheese. Like you stated to avoid breaking it up to badly i mix the cheese in right before I'm ready to stuff.

I never tried the pickled jalapenos in my sausage before. All i have ever used was fresh chopped. Might try the pickled ones to see what the difference in taste is,next go round.

Keep up the good work
icon14.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky