Rouladen

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Morning all,
New Years day meal was going to be seafood. But Ann was concerned about her gout. So, dinner got switched to Rouladen. That's ok. We can do seafood another day. I sliced a top round nice and thin. And rolled it up with bacon and onions. We don't add pickles.
P1010142 - Copy (3).JPG

Sprinkled with pepper and paprika.

P1010143 - Copy (3).JPG

Ready for the frying pan.

P1010145 - Copy (3).JPG

After getting browned. Add water. Cover and simmer for a few hours.
Then remove. Add a corn starch slurry to make the gravy.

P1010151 - Copy.JPG

P1010150 - Copy.JPG

Money shot! Darn right tasty meal! Hope everyone had a great New Years day!

Last edited:
Fantastic ! I've been wanting to do these . That gravy looks top notch .
Wondering about the pickle . I add a dill spear to the crock pot when I do beef , but was thinking maybe to much rolled up ?

Fantastic ! I've been wanting to do these . That gravy looks top notch .
Wondering about the pickle . I add a dill spear to the crock pot when I do beef , but was thinking maybe to much rolled up ?
Thanks! I guess it's just a preference. And regional thing. In southern Germany. It was rare to see a pickle in them. Up north. It was hard to get them without.

Reactions: chopsaw
This might be the nudge I need to do these . I have a nice sirloin roast . I'll do some with and without pickles .
Great thread .

Reactions: Steve H
Looks great. I have made beef rouladen a few times and always used the pickle and also spread mustard on the beef before assembling.

Did you coat the rouladen with four before frying? My recipe does not fry the rouladen. I may change that up seeing your rendition.

Spent 2 years in the Mainz - Wiesbaden area in the service and the mustard and pickle version is what I had there.

Do you happen to know what region your recipe came from?

I am going to have to make these again soon.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: chopsaw
Looks great. I have made beef rouladen a few times and always used the pickle and also spread mustard on the beef before assembling.

Did you coat the rouladen with four before frying? My recipe does not fry the rouladen. I may change that up seeing your rendition.

Spent 2 years in the Mainz - Wiesbaden area in the service and the mustard and pickle version is what I had there.

Do you happen to know what region your recipe came from?

I am going to have to make these again soon.

I was in Darmstadt. Around 30 miles from you. It is surprising the variations of local dishes. I gave the beef a light dusting of flour. Ann got the recipe from her mom.

Reactions: JC in GB
Awesome Steve! My wife is from Wiesbaden and her mom cooks a lot of great food, but we pretty much stick with goulash and schnitzel. I think we’ll have to add this to the rotation! Thank you for sharing!

Those rouladens look fantastic Steve! They are on my list to try, gotta bump them up a bit after seeing yours.

I was in Darmstadt. Around 30 miles from you. It is surprising the variations of local dishes. I gave the beef a light dusting of flour. Ann got the recipe from her mom.

Agreed. I was stationed in Wackernheim and a short walk to Ingelheim already was showing food variations. I just loved all the food and spirits that were available in Germany. Would go back in a heartbeat if I could.

Agreed. I was stationed in Wackernheim and a short walk to Ingelheim already was showing food variations. I just loved all the food and spirits that were available in Germany. Would go back in a heartbeat if I could.

I would love to. Haven't been back in about 10 years.

Another bookmarked! They look delicious and easy to make...I like easy! And of course...gravy!

Ryan

Reactions: Sven Svensson
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky